Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steelhands_gw

Old Greenhouse (Rental house)

steelhands
13 years ago

I live in Memphis Tennessee and just moved into a rental house that has an old greenhouse in the back yard. It is pretty run down with about 5 panes of glass out and a bunch of moss and ivy growing over it all. It is about 25 X 15 or a bit smaller maybe.

Actually, it looks pretty cool in a kind of "Kincaid Painting" sort of way and I think the frame and glass are too fragile to restore. Anyway it's a rental house. So what I am thinking is to make it as functional as I can but leave most of the "aging" items in place, just cut down a good bit of the ivy, using an artful shear, a quick interior clean up, replace the missing glass, freshen up the dirt inside and see what I can do.

My goal would be to have some later vegies like tomato and peppers available. Fresh, homegrown tomatoes at Christmas! Wow. Also some flowers and perhaps an orchid or two. My near backyard is mostly shade. But I do have the bamboo plague. I am going to win a few battles with it if not the war.

I have about "average" gardening skills having gardened most of my life, on and off. Most of that was in West Palm Beach where the season is backwards!

I am willing to put in a little heater and fan but that's about it.

What do you all think? Worth it?

Sam

Comments (2)