Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant on pergola?

Posted by krmc 8 (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 12:22

We've just built a pergola in our backyard. It's in full sun. We have considered wysteria & thornless rose but want some advise as to what to plant for a climbing cover.
Any ideas? I'll post a pic soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant on pergola?

Hops- they grow extremely fast and look great.
One caution- I planted a wisteria on each side of a huge entry trellis and twelve years later its tree sized trunk is pulling down the side posts. It seems as the wisteria grows longer and thicker it grows shorter (like a snake strangeling its prey.) I like the wisteria but haven't figured out how to shorten the vertical posts to keep it from being pulled down.

o

I'd suggest hops too, but with one caution that most people aren't aware of. Hops are toxic to dogs. We grow and love Hops oursleves, but keep the doggies away.

o

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 6, 10 at 22:15

I'm growing several kinds of grapes on mine. I prefer the combination of aesthetics and fruit!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here