Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass windows - single or double paned?

Posted by jennholly tx 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 12:35

I am building a greenhouse out of reclaimed windows.

I have heard conflicting information about using single or double paned (insulated?) glass, but I haven't been able to find any information pertaining to greenhouses.

Which would you recommend, and why?

Our summers get very warm and our winters are "relatively" mild, with a few freezes which are usually brief.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass windows - single or double paned?

I'm in zone 4/5 and my GH is single pane. I checked out double pane for the insulation value, but the cost was way too much for me. In addition to the glass itself, the weight is significantly heavier so the GH structure needs to be sturdier, which also adds costs.

o

If you are building the GH yourself and plan to frame it with lumber, the weight of double panes shouldn't be an issue and in an area that experiences mild winters but very hot summers, insulation is as important as it is where winters get bitterly cold.

In fact, it's a lot easier to keep a GH warm in winter than it is to prevent it from becoming an oven in summer and the plants will grow as well under double panes as they do single.

o

Thanks! You both have given me a few things to think about. The frame base will be the frame of this shed, with a few modifications:

One thing I did not mention in my original post was that I don't really plan to run electricity out to the greenhouse - will that make a difference in the pros/cons of single or double?

o

Build it with what you have. Single should be fine for you. Look into heat-activated, non-electric, pneumatic openers. I think I saw that the Chinese Consulate, um, I mean Harbor Freight has them for about $20. There are also solar powered attic vent fans available at places like Home Depot for a bit more. If you go with single but find that you want more heat retention in the winter, look into preventing heat loss by air infiltration through small gaps in the walls and around the door and windows, insulate your north, east, and west walls, and consider temporary plastic over the windows to raise their R-value.

I assume that in the heat of the summer you'll be leaving the place empty.

o

Double pane windows are only good for 5-7 years and then they start to fog up thats crap, i have double pane insulated glass it will last longer than that. 30 years and more. i make custom entry doors and if i had to replace glass that often i would be out of buisness.

o

I was able to use double paned sliding glass doors thanks to Habitat for Humanity's Restore at around $70/set. That is six feet of tempered glass, frames and screen. Since then, I have been given two sets of doors to use for future projects once folks see how they are being used. It saves energy, is safer and pretty inexpensive. I did use pool cover for the roof and another layer for the ceiling.

If you want to use it in summer, it helps to have two doors (thanks forum folks for the suggestion) for cross ventilation. That's where the screen doors of the sets came in handy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here