Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hoop House cooling, Advice wanted

Posted by berry-nut 4b-SouthWestWI (My Page) on
Wed, May 5, 10 at 14:46

Hi All,

This is our first year with a hoop house. It's 21x66 with clear poly, we would like to grow tomatoes and peppers in it during the summer. In anticipation of summer heat I would like to know what other people do to keep temps acceptable. Do you use shade cloth, fans, swamp coolers? or just open the sides and ends. We usually have a week of 90's and mostly low 80's during summer.

Any help will be appreciated,
Jake

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hoop House cooling, Advice wanted

Although shade cloth, fans, and evaporative cooling all can reduce greenhouse temperatures, there is one more option that may be less expensive: shading compound. These products are diluted and sprayed onto the roof. Different formulations have a few different properties depending on your situation.
The price per gallon may look expensive, but a "1:15 dilution provides 73% shading", so you would be using much less shading compound.

Here is a link that might be useful: shading compound

o

you want max sunlight for those crops. open the doors on the ends and roll up the sides. irrigate.

o

I agree . . . ventilation is more important than shading. You want maximum sunslight for tomato/pepper plants. We have roll-up sides on our greenhouses and large doors, rear & front we can open when needed. It's amazing how hot a greenhouse can get if not properly ventilated . . . not safe for plants or people!

o

Thanks Everyone,

Just wasn't sure if we needed something more for cooling or not. Just trying to anticipate as many things ahead of time, I hate having to figure stuff out in a hurry.

Thanks again

Jake

o

You must install a ventilation system like an exhaust fan to help cool down the temperature in your greenhouse or you can rely on the natural upward movement of hot air to exit from your hoop house through ridge or gutter vents.

o

Maybe the guide I link to below might be help to you?
Also, have you thought about Aluminet reflective shade? From website "Its anti-oxidation coating helps to protect greenhouses like standard shade cloth, but also assists in keeping the greenhouse cool making it an excellent choice for commercial greenhouses, plant nurseries and garden centers. Aluminet is also commonly utilized as a frost protector for vegetable crops."

Here is link: Aluminet

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooling & Ventilation Buyer's Guide

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here