Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to control grasshoppers in GH

Posted by gardenmom z4 WA (GardenMom360@gmail.com) on
Sat, May 5, 12 at 17:23

Zone 4 with an unheated greenhouse, so things are just starting for me. I'm picking lettuce and kale. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, basil, and cukes are what I usually grow in GH - everything else is outside. Most of these are in pots, awaiting planting in the GH beds. But (and here is the problem) I already have young grasshoppers in GH. I can see where they've munched on the basil and lettuce.
Any ideas for controlling them?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to control grasshoppers in GH

Are you certain it's grasshoppers? Have you seen them or just the leaf damage?
We have bad grasshoppers too but they've never found their way inside the GH, thank goodness. They are still a long ways from emerging around here, so I haven't seen any yet.

If you're certain it's grasshoppers I would try semaspore bait from Planet Natural.

o

I'll try the bait.
Yes, I've seen them. They're still small and green, about 3/4 inch long. I catch whatever I can. I don't usually have slugs and haven't caught any in the beer traps I set out. So I'm leaning towards the damage being grasshoppers.

o

So I was keeping an eye out for grasshoppers after I posted that it seemed to early for them and lo and behold I did see one this weekend. Hopefully the semaspore will work. I imagine it will, because the greenhouse is a (somewhat) closed system and it seems your chances are good that they'll eat the bait. Good luck!

Karin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here