Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
automatic windows in greenhouse

Posted by Llanwenlys 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 3, 12 at 19:33

We are having a greenhouse built by some folks who normally build sunrooms and we specified automatic window openers with rising temperature for those times we are not home, as we still work. They arrived and looked good, but then they discovered they were not compatible with the screens custom built into each window grrrrrr

I feel I need screens to keep out the bugs. Are there any sources for electric (as opposed to solar) openers which might be compatible with screens? There is nothing of interest in Charley's or other online places I could find.

Any experience with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: automatic windows in greenhouse

Why are you so concerned with excluding bugs with screens? No greenhouse is airtight enough to keep them out. If it were me, I would not lose any sleep over this. I have ordinary automatic openers in my greenhouse and I have never had any concerns about this issue. I'm not trying to belittle your post. I'm just suggesting that it really is not much of an issue in my experience.

o
RE: automatic windows in greenhouse

Something else to seriously consider is that zero insects equals zero pollination !!! So having screens in place will also mean having to do a whole lot of pollination 'by hand' ... or limiting yourself to the very small number of available 'parthenogenic' hybrids that will set fruit without pollination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here