Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pelicanhead

Are you enjoying your greenhouse?

C Schaffner
14 years ago

I haven't been around for a while, I've been hanging out in the plumeria and rose forums. I have had my hf greenhouse for almost 2 years now. It has been so much fun. I kinda turned it into a orchid house for the summer. In the winter I store my plumerias. Has everyone been having as much fun as I have? I just go out there and hang out, I need to add a margarita machine and lounge chair!

Comments (14)

• denni-oof
    14 years ago

WeÂve hardly had ours a month yet and IÂve only had my seedlings in there a few times to protect them from storms. My stuff is ready to be planted out if only it would stop raining. So mostly right now we just take chairs and go out there and sit and grin at each other. ItÂs so nice and clean and new.

• stressbaby
    14 years ago

Starting 5th year with Grand Hideaway GH. Wish I had more time, kids are really busy at this age with soccer and volleyball all over the state. But yes, still enjoying it. I have lychees for the first time!
    {{gwi:298351}}

I have promised cuttings to a bunch of people and if it rains and I cannot work outside today, I'll set up the mist bench in the GH.

• tominnh
    14 years ago

Pelicanhead, Let me know when tha Margarita machine arrives. I'll be down LOL

We just got our GH set up and it's still under construction. Not sure that we have time to start any annuals but I am going to do some herbs. I also have some herbs in a aerogarden in the kitchen. I plan to get those into some type of hyrdo system to keep them growing in the greenhouse.

Stressbaby, Any pics of the mist bench..? Thanks Tom

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A mist bench, that sounds interesting. Yes we need pics!

• tominnh
    14 years ago

I bought two Papaya from QVC and got 13 plants in two pots! I carefully washed off the soil, separated and planted them in their oown pots. They sill need to misting I am sure to overcome the shock.

• greenhouser2
    14 years ago

For the most part I love my GHs, a small HFGH and a Rion. However I've had my moments with both of them. :-\

Right now all the plants are outside for the summer. The veggies are all in the garden and the GHs are cleaned and ready for the fall season. I'm using one end of the Rion as a potting bench/house. :)

• krayers
    14 years ago

We just finished our 2nd winter & are loving ours. Just not enough time to do all the projects I've planned. Four grandchildren 6 and under & another on the way consumes most of the time off work - but in a good way.

If it would ever stop raining long enough we'd get our seedlings & caladiums planted & then ours will be empty for the summer. It will need a good cleaning too.

Kim

• greenhouser2
    14 years ago

I managed to get the seeds and plants planted between the endless rain. Fortunately our land drains quickly. The garden isn't growing as well as it usually does due to all the rain, cool weather and cloudiness. :(

• seamommy
    14 years ago

I just got mine on Friday, built by Texas Greenhouse Company, it's a 10' x 12' Hobby Greenhouse and yes I am really enjoying it. I am starting to work on the landscaping around the exterior of the GH so the rain water is channeled correctly. I have also found a lot of things to go into it that I had under grow lights in the house.

Not sure if I will start many more veggies for this season, although I have the seeds. I don't have enough prepared garden area for everything that I want to grow. But I have great plans for this fall and winter to start things early and have them ready for next Spring's veggie garden.

One of the guys who was building it said that if I was going to use it for orchids that I needed to install four small fans in each corner to create enough air circulation for them. Anyone have an opinion on that? I have orchids in the house now and was planning to put them out there for the moisture and the light. I also have some plumerias that will go out there.

I am planning to lay a brick paver floor in the center aisle and have 4" of pea gravel under the planting shelves. I have a nice wicker chair and bamboo side table to go in there once the floor is in. I had them install a swamp cooler and a heater and the electrician is coming tomorrow to hook them up.

This little greenhouse is a dream come true for me. I will be able to grow pretty much anything I want to. I won't have seedling trays covering the kitchen and dining room tables anymore. I won't have to overwinter my hanging baskets in the garage. And I will have a peaceful place to go where the warmth and moisture releives my arthritis pain. Yea!! Cheryl

• greenhouser2
    14 years ago

Oddly enough, even with 6 fans in my 8X16' Rion, the orchids did better in my sunroom than in the Rion. They get small black spots on theor flowers in the GH. I can't keep the humidity low enough.

• C Schaffner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have one oscillating fan on a stand for my orchids. So far it seems to be doing the job. I've had them in there since last summer. With the fan, misters and exhaust fan, they seem pretty happy.

• tominnh
    14 years ago

I have a 52" ceiling fan mounted at the ridge in the center of the GH and put it in reverse mode in the morning. It helps push the heat out of the roof vents. At night I am using heat as temps are still in the 40's with chance of frost, so I reverse the fan to push the heat back to the floor. Seems to be working out fine.

• David Shawver
    11 years ago

We have a 17x10 Riga Greenhouse and I'm in it every day. It's almost three years old and we've had zero problems with it. It has survived 50+mph winds. We live in south Texas so don't get much of a winter. However we grow many tropical s and citrus from Asia, Mexico and India so the greenhouse is great for starting seedlings and moving these plants indoors for the occasional frost. Other then my fruit trees everything we grow in our garden is in containers and starts out in the greenhouse.

• kamv
    10 years ago

Unfortunately at this time no, im not really enjoying my greenhouse. 4 years ago we built a 10x12 polycarbonate greenhouse with a wood frame. Loved it, was PERFECT. Fast forward 4 years, recently went into the Tillandsia (air plant) business and now it doesnt suit my needs nor is it big enough. And for the life of me I cant find any useful information to help me build a new one as we are wanting to add on a 12x20 section and turn the original part into storage and workspace. Any help out there?