Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black Dye for solar gain in water?

Posted by eric_g z5 NV (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 23:07

I remember reading some posts a while back where people were talking about solar gain for things like water bottles, etc.

In the past, I've always spray painted the bottles flat black, but somebody mentioned that they thought you could gain just as much heat by dying the water black instead of painting the bottles. I have a bunch of saved fruit juice containers, and want to put them in my cold frame and row cover and thought I'd try the dye method, but I'm not sure what type of dye to use.

Obviously, I'd be looking for something that doesn't "settle" at all, and stays suspended in the water. Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black Dye for solar gain in water?

Expired printer black ink cartriges.

Open it up and use the insides.

dcarch

o

where does this water end up next year or a few years later?

o

"where does this water end up next year or a few years later?"

Good question! It would be great if I could find ink that stayed suspended in water, but was also not going to gank up the environment if dumped.

I may just continue the black paint on the bottles routine if I can't find anything.

I did find this:
http://www.fasart.com/waterdyes.htm

But don't know if they're really non-toxic, and whether or not they would stay suspended for long periods.

o

My husband has access to clear barrels and we are trying them out for solar gain. We found agricultural dye at a farm store that is a pretty dark blue. It is meant to mix with chemicals when you spray weeds so that you can see where you have sprayed. It doesn't take much, but it has stayed in suspension for a number of months now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here