Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fixing Blossom End Rot

Posted by Myfrozenlittlepond 3 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 21:24

I have read most of the posts I can find about the challenges of BER, especially with paste tomatoes grown in the GH. But other than choosing "resistant" varieties of veggies, are there other adjustments that you have found useful? My science brain says that if BER is simply a calcium issue, then adequate calcium in the soil mix should fix the problem. But as I research further, it appears that other factors can affect the plants as well, such as excessive watering, the timing of watering, soil pH and other mineral balance. Any thoughts on how to prevent BER? How do commercial growers deal with it? My only experience with BER first hand is in my outdoor beds and was easily corrected by the addition of lime to my soil. Why is it so different in the GH? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fixing Blossom End Rot

When the tomatoes are growing rapidly, they can "outgrow" the plant's ability to keep the growing fruit supplied with enough minerals, especially calcium,

One of the critical factors is moisture to keep the nutrients flowing towards the fruit and within the fruit ... keep it even. Mulch thickly. But don't drown the roots.

pH affects the availability of soil minerals - within a broad range. I add sulfur to lower the pH (AZ alkaline dirt), where someone else might have to add lime to raise it.

THEN, after you have watering and pH adjusted, try adding calcium and magnesium (they interact) ... but not too much.

It's a bit of an art.

o

lazygardens hit the nail on the head... also get your soil tested by a pro.. not a test kit that you by a job lot or agway..

o

After battling BER for the last few years on my Super Marzanos, I switched to resistant varieties. This is the time of year when I'd normally see it and so far, not a spec. We'll see!

o

Check out FAQ on the tomato forum. Good article there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here