Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Greenhouse Citrus

Posted by blucolt 9a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 23:02

Greetings!

I'm building a greenhouse to keep the squirrels out, and to grow some dwarf mango and citrus. The house will be irrigated with hydroponics (or aquaponics). My questions have to do with the trees. Would it be better to plant them in the ground, or could I keep them in pots? If I did put them in pots, how big would they need to be? And finally, what media would you recommend in the pots?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Greenhouse Citrus

The attached article should answer many of your questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: container citrus

o

• Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 11:20

FWIW I am using the Al's Gritty Mix for a Meyer Lemon in a pot and it is doing fabulous.

1 part uncomposted screened pine or fir bark (1/8-1/4")
1 part screened Turface
1 part crushed Gran-I-Grit (grower size) or #2 cherrystone
1 Tbsp gypsum per gallon of soil (eliminate if your fertilizer has Ca)
CRF (if desired)

---------------------
I made some substitutions due to availability of components.

For Turface I used the clay-based oil spill cleanup material they sell at NAPA Auto Parts. It's similar, but I am not sure which one at the moment. It should be one of these: NAPA Oil Spill Cleanup Materials
It's not the Diatomaceous Earth for sure.

For granite\cherry I found a pea gravel where no particle is larger than 1/4". It is mainly tiny stones of quartz and feldspar bits. Seems to do the job.

o

You should check this article, they answering question via email too.

Here is a link that might be useful: GreenHouses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here