Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clear Plastic

Posted by Jkirk3279 Z5 SW MI (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 05 at 23:11

Hi.

I'm about to do an upgrade on my hoophouse.

I have been noodling on making laminated plywood bows with Gorilla Glue.

With wooden bows at both ends and the middle, I can

1) use a separate piece of plastic for the ends, rather than one large sheet

2) frame in vent windows.

I'm thinking of using that same laminated bow technique to make window vent frames that match the curvature of the PVC bows.

First I'll make large vent windows and hinge them to open up like gull wings on the lower sides. Then I can get to the other side of the plants and weed and plant from the outside.

Later I'd like to add an upper pair of gull wing windows so that open, the outside air flows straight through the hoophouse without restriction.

The final goody would be framing the windows with two layers of plastic, inside and outside for better insulation.

But I don't want to lose the sunlight I have. The year-old plastic I have is sort of milky already. Two layers of that would be too dark.

So, is there a grade of greenhouse plastic that's really clear ? I could buy 12 mil clear vinyl but it's somewhat expensive and I'd have to sew together over a dozen yards of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clear Plastic

i do take the plastic cover down every spring and put it up in late fall, between time let the pumkin and squash cover the structure.

o

Well, I did find something.

Too pricey for my hoophouse, but it's apparently clear.

Here is a link that might be useful: EskayLite

o

Most of the greenhouse plastics ARE reasonably* clear. And it doesn't "frost up" when exposed to sunlight (like regular plastics purchased at Lowes and Home Depot). However, the greenhouse plastics DO turn yellow over time.

I've used the "two year" greenhouse plastic and it stayed reasonably* clear for the two years but it DID yellow somewhat. When I cover the greenhouse this Fall I plan on using a double layer (inflated) of 4 year plastic.

One other POSITIVE factor is that the greenhouse plastics are less prone to ripping since the plastic tends to stretch as opposed to ripping/tearing. I find that the regular plastics from Lowes and Home Depot tend to rip easily along the "grain" of the plastic if caught on anything sharp.

*"reasonably" means that the greenhouse plastics are NOT see-through but are nearly clear, allowing one to see a rather blurred view into or out of the greenhouse. This factor didn't change over the two years I used the greenhoues plastic.

Chris

o

I'd have to agree that all plastics seem clear when installed but the technology is improved in light transmission and light dispersion and even in how condensation forms (so types prevent dripping). All being said I would go with a greenhouse 6 mil plastic at the most reasonable price and not worry about the frills. I'm going on my 11th year on the same 3year film with no real need to replace it yet.

I would avoid allowing the plastic to overheat in the summer and try to keep chemicals off it, especially bleach. Yellowing is usually not a problem so much as loosing elasticity and eventually cracking and tearing.

o

bmoser,

Just got to ask, what brand of plastic are you using???? I'm looking on recovering this fall.

Thanks
Stan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here