Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcnaryxc_gw

Suggestions to my homemade indoor greenhouse?

mcnaryxc
15 years ago

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I started growing Charentais melons a week ago from seeds. (I know, a little late) I put 12 seeds in an egg carton, one per spot, and put some soil mixture in that was pH balanced. I watered each one, put them in a ziplock bag, and then put the bag between a halogen desk light and a heat pad. After doing some research, I found out that halogen is really bad to use, and so now I use a 26w 6500K CFL. (I wanted 42w but Lowes was out)

As off today, they were out growing the ziplock bag I put them in as a temporary greenhouse. So, I put my engineering cap on and decided to build an indoor greenhouse that was cheap but effective.

To make it short and not explain my whole thinking process, I made the greenhouse with a clear shower curtain, Saran wrap, a metal shelving kit, packing tape, thermometer/hydrometer along with my heat pad and lamp. I built the the shelving kit, covered the top with Saran wrap, and then wrapped the rest of the kit in the shower curtain, holding it down with packing tape. I, then, put it in the garage on top of the heat pad, put a cup of hot water inside, installed the thermometer/hydrometer inside, and put the lamp on top. Once everything was humid, I put in my week old seedlings. So far, so good.

Here's some pictures of what it looks like:

{{gwi:299794}}

{{gwi:299795}}

{{gwi:299796}}

Comments? Suggestions? Anything?

Comments (5)