Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keter Greenhouse

Posted by jimla Z6 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 08 at 0:42

Does anyone have experience with or know of anyone who has a Keter brand greenhouse? Its something like a 6 x 6 foot hobby house. Its rigid plastic and made in Israel. My friend just bought a Keter garden shed and likes it alot. Their website gives little info on it and they seem to be sold in the UK. My friend bought his shed at Costco.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keter Greenhouse

Looks like similar construction to my first greenhouse. Basically plastic frame components with flimsy aluminum connectors. Mine was called "home hobby enthusiast" greenhouse or something like that.

Mine got me started and addicted, but I discovered in the first year it was not sturdy enough for the wind I get. Also, the glazing started separating from the frame due to summer heat and wind. Duct tape soon became a major component of my greenhouse. I discovered that a 40 mph wind severely distorted the shape and threatened destruction.

So, every time a strong wind was predicted, I drove a vehicle up beside it to try to protect it. Unfortunately, the weather predictors do not warn me about every strong wind, and I am not always around to try to protect my greenhouse. Anyway, a 70 mph unblocked wind totally destroyed it last September.

Because I am addicted, I shopped for a replacement and finally decided on one from BC Greenhouses that is supposed to withstand 95mph wind, for about 5 times the price I paid for the first one. My homeowners' insurance covered almost all the cost of the first one.

I got the new one too late to get it installed before last winter, and have been too busy to finish it this summer. Hope to complete it this September, in time to save my outdoor plants and have cool season vegetables this winter.
Looks very sturdy. Heavy aluminum "studs and rafters", 5 wall glazing.

Unless you live somewhere without wind, I would not buy a greenhouse with plastic framing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here