Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cadillactaste

If a fan is used...how does one vent it outside for ventilation

cadillactaste
9 years ago

I was looking into FAQ's area and found this to be quite helpful to a point. But left a question...

"One of the simplest and best ways to ventilate your greenhouse is to provide natural air flow across your greenhouse at a high level and a low level if possible. This can be accomplished with windows, doors, vents, or fans. If you are using a plastic covering on your greenhouse you can remove a portion or gather it up to provide side ventilation.
Fans can be as inexpensive as a box fan purchased at a �super� store or a specialty exhaust fan.
A couple of tips are to place your fan high for more efficient cooling and position it to pull the air across the length of the greenhouse and then exhaust it to the outside."

If one would use a fan...how does one go about venting outdoors? I have an enclosed gazebo...with windows. I worry abut wintertime ventilation. For warm weather I could easily open a few windows for a good cross breeze.

The gazebo currently has a hot tub in it that doesn't get much use. So we have given away the hot tub, and are awaiting for the new owners to take ownership of it. Once they do that...we will begin the work on the gazebo to make it something of a garden room to create a cool greenhouse for temperate bonsai.

Comments (4)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

You typically must have an opening that is filled by a panel with the fan mounted on it and another that allows makeup air to flow. You cover the openings when you don't want infiltration, or you have louvers that open due to air flow or are mechanically operated.

Here is a link that might be useful: GH fan images

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the link...so...when it's frigid cold...one would close this off? Using the other method that would circulate air flow...without the louvers open. Or am I totally confused. Trying to imagine having opened louvered fan in the winter and keeping a room of windows heated even at a cooler temp. During warmer months. The trees would be outdoors...just needing a winterization facility to house them. So...could one leave the louvered fan out of the plan...using only a fan? Since windows do open...if needed,open one near the fan in use... Or am I looking at this all wrong?

Sorry for my ignorance...just, I know how hard it is to heat our sunroom off the kitchen/dining area of our home. Having an opened draft with the louvered fan seems like fighting an uphill battle. With keeping the room at a specific temp.

Thinking an indoor/outdoor good thermometer that I can see the temps while inside my home...maybe a good route to also go. I am thinking on a warmer winter day....is when one may need ventilation.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

In the winter time, or any time it is cold enough to be losing heat that you don't want to, you close the louvers....just the same as you would if you had an open window. I'm not sure why you are worried about circulating air in the winter as that would tend to dry out the plants since humidity is typically lower in the winter months.

• cadillactaste
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See...I had no clue...having a cool green house with the temps cooler and in the 50's I wasn't sure what to do. My bonsai rosemary suggests to have a fan not directional in the room for air circulation if one notices powdery mildew. The FAQ section here had me questioning ventilation...it mentioned venting outside.

So vents are more for warmer weather...that totally makes sense...I had someone tell me to get shades for my windows. Which...I am puzzled about. What I read about temperate plants they need sunlight still.