Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GH Sink

Posted by Hudson...WY 3 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 6:38

Please share photos of your inside or outside GH sink - we would like to mount a sink in our GH with a counter for cleaning planting pots, trays and planting seedlings. We have found limited photos on the web and would love to see what you have done before we purchase and install a sink. Below is the area where we plan to install the sink with a possible bench top adjoining our storage shelves and a photo of a couple of sink ideas - if we could find an antique sink - that would be awesome!

photo IMG_0912_zpsa301e0a0.jpg

photo CollageIt_zps95108fd4.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GH Sink

I don't have a sink, but I've washed a lot of pots and trays. There is a lot of dirt removal involved. For this reason, I recommend washing pots and trays outside the GH with a hose - someplace where the dirt can just fall to the ground and become part of it. I use a Dramm 11000 Water Breaker fed from a 3/4" irrigation line. This throws a lot of water but doesn't splash much. Of course, having been raised in my Dad's commercial operation, I learned to use what you might call an industrial potting process where I line up a bunch of pots in trays and fill them en masse. This results in a lot of dirt in, on and around the trays, which I just leave there until I harvest and clean the pots for reuse. I'm not tidy, but I'm fast.

o

Hudson,
I bought my antique porcelain sink and base from our local ReStore for $75. It came from an old kitchen and had the original metal cabinet base. The sink is one bowl and attached drain board, not fancy and originally intended for a kitchen. The base was rusty in places and in need of TLC, so I sanded and repainted with rust inhibitor paint. I have a chip repair kit ready to fix the sink when I get time. The faucet was missing, but I was able to get the original cabinet manufacturer and model number from the base unit and googled it and linked up to a plumbing company that stocks all kinds of antique faucets and they shipped me a new one. It even has a sprayer.
The idea for my indoor barrel (as we discussed on the other thread) came from the contractor, who suggested that the waste water could be used for watering. I plan to rinse most of the dirt from veggies and pots outdoors, weather permitting, and do some basic hand washing and pot washing indoors. Maybe I need to rethink this plan, as I may generate more waste water than I need to water with in the slow growing seasons. My GH will be heated year round above freezing so I am not worried that the barrel will freeze. Maybe a simple pipe with a valve that would allow me to empty the excess water out of the barrel would be useful. I like the idea of reusing the water when possible, but if I was disinfecting with bleach it would need to be disposed of. Your thoughts are definitely welcome on this!

o

Hi Littlepond - Your sink sounds perfect - you'll have to share some photos when you get to that point. I'm not qualified to give advice on your water/drain system. It does seem logical that you have a way to clean out and dispose of your waste water under the worse case scenario though. The bleach water should be a consideration IMO. It is great that you are thinking of your options before construction!

o

Instead of chlorine bleach, bromine ("agribrom") might be a better disinfectant since it is less toxic to many plants at effective rates. However, even the chlorine will dissipate rapidly from your barrel. After just a few days sitting, there will be very little, if any, residual chlorine. This is especially true if there is organic matter in with the water. A simple spa chlorine/bromine tester would determine if any chlorine/bromine is left, if you choose to reuse the water. (click- "download your file now" to view link)

Here is a link that might be useful: bromine for greenhouse disinfection

This post was edited by cuestaroble on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 23:13

o

Just found this posting after my other post to you. Jus remembered that when I needed a very large sink for my old darkroom, I made it out of plywood and covered it with fiberglass. Worked well for many years with nary a problem. Using this, you can custom size the sink. I was careful when I set the sink on place to make sure the drain was the low end:-) You might even be able to build in some internal slope. You might also look for an old scientific lab sink which would be stainless steel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here