Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julia_123

Homemade Greenhouse?

julia_123
18 years ago

I am just starting to look at greenhouses...I have obtained 40 47 x 25 wooden pane windows, which I thought I might be able to nail together to make a small greenhouse. They were free, glass is still intact, so I figured, why not? Just wanted to get some feedback on whether or not this is a crazy idea or if a somewhat viable greenhouse could be fashioned from this. Thanks!!!

Comments (12)

• erlyberd
    18 years ago

Sure. I'd use most of them on the south side placed at angle to capture the suns rays during the spring, fall and winter. Or you can make a pit greenhouse. It depends on what you have in mind.

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

No, Julia, it is not a crazy idea! It is awesome that you got all those windows for free! In some of my magazines and books I have seen pics of greenhouses made from windows and they are charming! And most of them were made from a collection of all different sized windows! Your's are all the same size so it won't be hard to sketch a plan. There is an adorable "Garden House" in my book "Better Homes & Gardens Garden Decorating" made from an assortment of windows. There are no specific plans (because everyone's windows are different)... but shows some inside and outside pics and gives some tips in the text.

Basically what you would do, considering you are in a cold (snow) area, is have the bottom of the walls (24" - 36" or so) be covered with wood or siding or be concrete blocks. This is called a knee-wall...it's purpose is to help the structure retain heat. (But the house can be windows to the ground if you want...if your not using it in the winter and if you aren't afraid of the lower glass being easy to accidentally break). Then the walls and roof will be 2x4 or (or even 2x3 on the walls) framing between all the windows.

I can't explain it all but if you or someone helping you understands some basics of building it shouldn't be difficult. On the roof of this one the windows were placed both horizontally and vertically, and in the gable ends where a window wouldn't fit they used plexiglass. I can try to scan in some pics from my book if that will help you with your ideas. You probably have enough windows to make a 10' x 12' greenhouse (approximately).

Hope I didn't confuse you totally. :)

• julia_123
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, guys! Especially DaisyLover for all of your advice. I'm going to get some books for ideas and get this thing going! :)

• rich_oh_gw McIntyre
    18 years ago

Having replaced the single pane wooden and storm windows with double glazed windows. I too am looking for ideas for building a greenhouse or cold frames.Would very much appreciate any advice.

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

Julia, good luck in your search! Was glad to try to help you. :)

John, I can't add much info other than what I said in my first message up top. Basically it's just a matter of counting up your available windows, listing all their sizes and deciding what you want your house to look like, and sort of putting the windows together like a jigsaw puzzle. By that I mean... a ground-to-peak glasshouse, a glasshouse with a kneewall, a saltbox shape, etc. Then, you try to find a plan you like that you can adjust for your windows. If not, you sketch a plan, where you build a 2x4 framed building allowing spaces for installing the windows in as many places as you want them. The one pictured in my book is 100% windows (roof, ends, walls) top to bottom. The windows are just nailed or screwed into the frames openings just like building a house. I have seen some that all the sides and ends were built with windows, but the roof was arches of pvc pipe covered with double inflated plastic. You didn't say how many windows and storms you have or what you were hoping to create with them? With more info I might be able to help you more.

• rich_oh_gw McIntyre
    18 years ago

Hi DaisyLover...Happy Birthday!!!
    Have 22 windows 20" x 35" - 12 20" x 27" and same in the storm windows, approximately 300 sq ft. My idea is to build a wood frame and insert the windows. Just wondering if anyone had any photos or drawings of this type of structure.

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

Thanks, Rich....uh... I didn't know this site blabbed that information. :) Anyways... like I said in my first message here, I have pics in a book of an adorable glasshouse....inside and out (showing exactly what you are thinking of doing). No specific directions, but some tips. The pics alone give you some good ideas. I can try to scan then and send to you if it will help. I am sure I have pics in other books too but can't remember which ones right now....(it's that age thing messing up my brain functions I think).

• DaisyLover
    18 years ago

julia_123 and Rich_OH..........

If you two are still looking for ideas for using old windows for a greenhouse, I found these messages in here today and they have links to some pics of users "glass"houses.

Byron (in NH) gives a link here to his glasshouse pics and shows some inside shots of the construction on his and his creative entry and storage space.
    http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/strucs/msg0213005632332.html

tahoe6bvickie gives links to BOTH of her greenhouses made from her old windows....her old greenhouse and her new one. I think you will be surprised...(I don't even have windows in my home this nice!) ;)

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/strucs/msg0519075228252.html

Another thing I thought of when thinking about you two wanting to build with your old windows. I don't know what your areas are like...weatherwise....but if either of you live in an area that gets wicked hail storms like I remember growing up in OK...then you might not want to put the windows on your roof. :) Just a thought...course I have no idea what would stand up to hail like that!

(sorry I don't know how to make all the links active inside a message...only one at the end).

• beachbarbie
    18 years ago

We made my greenhouse from scratch (almost - we were given the floor and frame). Used glass from sliding glass doors and windows with the frames. It works very well so far - it's been operational since late October.
    The pics are in this link, in the garden folder.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/safari_barbie
    Because there's so much construction going on around us, we were able to get the supplies for free, so the whole thing cost us $125.
    Barb

• eclo
    18 years ago

My wife and I built a greenhouse from various sized old windows by framing them all together and pouring a foundation to set it on! We put a corrugated fiberglass roof on it slanting to the back for rain runoff. It faces south and does very well even through our cold Missouri winters with just a small electric space heater inside. It is not fancy but is quaint and has served us well for the last eight years! I have no webspace to post a picture but would be happy to email you a picture if you email me at eclo@comcast.net

• tgood_68134_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

Try finding old patio aluminum doors. They're the same size and with some planning you can erect like a kit. It worked for me.

• KellyFG
    17 years ago

we used all reclaimed items for our GH. So far we spent under $100
    Here's a pic-its not finished yet
    {{gwi:286706}}
    {{gwi:286704}}

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm