Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abacoian

need help on how to set up a small piece of shade cloth

abacoian
11 years ago

I plan to set up a 10x10 piece of shade cloth for me to work under while working on my growing projects. I could do it myself but being in a wheelchair I need help, a friend is going to help me. Before we get sttarted I'd like to have a lis of what we need and exactly how to do it.

I'm going to order a 10x10 shade cloth with groments already installed. I plan to attach one end to the house, and for the other end to plant two 4x4 posts.

What would be the best way to secure the shadecloth to the house, and to the 4x4's? If I take a picture of the side of the house would it help? And please, any advice, suggestions, or better ideas / ways to do it are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Ian

Comments (8)

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

I wonder if it would be easier to buy something like a ready-made canopy such as is used for campsites?

I'm not coming up with any great ways to attach shade cloth to a house.

Whatever you opt to do, I'd err on the side of making it sturdy so that wind doesn't carry the whole thing away!

• penfold2
    11 years ago

I'd get some large eye screws and screw them into the house and posts. Then just use some strong rope to tie the grommets to the eye screws. This is how I keep the shade cloth attached to my greenhouse.

-Chris

• abacoian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

the eye screws idea is perfect, first i need to drill a smaller hole then screw in the eye screw right?

My other concern is about planting the two posts as is if they will be stable enough, I found this instruction:

Mark the position of the center of the post and dig a hole for it with a post-hole digger or auger. The depth of the hole should be 1/3 of the total length of the post that will go in it, but make it a little deeper so you can fill the bottom with gravel for drainage. It should be wide enough to allow a space of at least 3 inches around the post for backfill material. Measure the depth and diameter of the hole with a tape measure.

Drop 2 or 3 inches of gravel into the bottom of the hole with a shovel, then place the bottom of the post in the center of the hole. Plumb the post with a spirit level.

Add wet concrete mix, gravel or dirt in increments of about 5 inches, tamping with a spare length of 2-by-4-inch lumber and checking the level each time you add material. Be sure to check the level on two perpendicular faces of the post.

Fill the hole to within a few inches of the top, then add dirt if you don't want the backfill material to be visible. You can also completely fill the hole with gravel or concrete if you prefer, or even use colored gravel for the final layer as a decorative touch.

Build the surface layer of backfill a few inches off the ground and tamp it so that it slopes away from the post. This will allow water to drain away from it.

--------- I don't plan to use concrete, just dirt, if I follow these instructions will my two pots be reliable?

Thank you,
    Ian

• penfold2
    11 years ago

"the eye screws idea is perfect, first i need to drill a smaller hole then screw in the eye screw right? "

Yes.

Your plan for the posts sounds like it should work fine. I once built a garden fence out of 4x4 posts using nothing but dirt to backfill. I didn't use any gravel. Just set the posts in the holes, attach a level, and fill with dirt while checking level. I used a post level that attaches to the post with a rubber band and allows you to check level in all directions at once. Then I used a sledgehammer to pack the fill down, again checking for level as I worked. It will be very sturdy as long as you place it deep enough. 1/3 of the total post length should be plenty. I think I made my holes around 3' deep and the posts were probably 10 or 12' long.

-Chris

• abacoian
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i haven't started yet. someone reccomended that i should cement the posts because over time wind pulling the shadecloth will wear the posts loose.

So, is there a simple instant cement i can use for the posts or would traditional cement be best?

i've uploaded a photo of the side of the house i want to attach the shade cloth to.

so i will need eyescrews, rope, shadecloth, 2 posts, posthole digger, drill, cement.

Anything else, ideas? thank you

• penfold2
    11 years ago

Whenever I've set posts like this I've used Quikrete concrete mix. It has cement, sand, and stone. You just pour a bag into a wheelbarrow or other large container, add a bit of water, mix with a shovel, and add some more water or concrete mix until you reach the right consistency. Then pour it into your hole with the post in place. Fill the remainder of the hole with dirt after the concrete has dried.

-Chris

• cole_robbie
    11 years ago

Don't forget the gravel for the bottom of the hole and a level to get the post straight.

I would also put a tensioning bolt on each rope that attaches to the eyelet. I linked to a pic below this post. Over time, rope will stretch out and loosen. The more your shade cloth flaps in the wind, the faster it will wear out.

Good luck with everything.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:300981}}

• spngan
    11 years ago

Please visit to the web below. I think it will help you as well because I get all my gardening landscaping idea from there.

Here is a link that might be useful: 7250 Landscaping Ideas

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!