Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
survivalgardener

Planning a Hoophouse - Advice Needed

survivalgardener
9 years ago

As the title says I am planning on building a hoophouse in the next few months. Before I go into details about the greenhouse let me tell you about the garden it will be covering. To make a long story short I started a new job and was busy so I got a late start on my garden this year. I just got done planting about 100 tomato plants in the ground last weekend and have about 20 or so pepper plants (mostly jalapeno) and some watermelon plants to put in the ground this weekend. I might plant a few more things but besides the corn I planted a month ago (which is looking good right now) that is all I have planned for now. I am using the square foot gardening method (and single stemming most of the tomato plants) for whatever plants I can with a variation of the Florida weave to support my tomatoes (and maybe watermelons and peppers if needed). I just finished installing a drip irrigation system to water it all last weekend.

Anyways enough about what I am growing (will have pictures in the near future). The garden its self is about 25' by 40' and I plan on building a hoophouse that covers it entirely (might go 50' long though). I am hoping to have the materials needed and have it constructed before the first frost (I live in Wisconsin). Eventually I would also like to add a source of heat but I am sure I can extend my growing season at least a little bit by just having the hoophouse up.

Here is my plan to construct the greenhouse (feel free to add your suggestions/criticisms). First of all the hoops will be made out of bent 3/4'' conduit (any suggestions on how to bend the conduit would be helpful) which will take about 40' (4 10' sections joined together) per hoop to make the greenhouse 25' wide and about 12' tall at the highest point (if my math is correct). I plan on spacing them 5' apart (is this too close or far apart?). The next thing to consider is anchoring them to the ground (Thought about using some combination of a wood frame and/or rebar. Any suggestions?). I can't use concrete because then it is considered a permanent structure and I will need a permit.

The next consideration is the plastic that will be covering the greenhouse. I plan on using the highest quality 6 mil plastic I can afford and using 2 layers with air being blown in between. I have been doing a little research on this but have been unable to find a supplier with quality plastic for a reasonable price. Any suggestions on this would be helpful. I would like to stay in the $200-$300 range for plastic if possible (willing to spend a little more if I have to). I figure I will need 2 40' x 50' sections of plastic just for the roof. I haven't figured out the ends yet. I have some recycled windows I might try to build a frame with for the ends.

Eventually I hope to have the greenhouse heated by some method and have a year round hydroponic (maybe aeroponic) system set up in it. But for now my first priority is getting my garden covered to extend my growing season. Once that is done I will move on to a source of heat. I used a greenhouse heating calculator on a greenhouse supply website (don't know how to post a link) and it said I will need about 37,000 BTUs to keep it at 60F when it gets to -30F (doesn't happen often here but it does happen). I don't think that will be too difficult to produce. As I said above I am open to any suggestions or things you see wrong with my plan.

Comments (5)

• oakhill (zone 9A, Calif.)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Just a note on the heat requirement. Using your figures of 25 ft X 40 ft, 12 ft high, 40 ft bows, double poly, -30 f outside, 60 f inside, I came up with 138,600 btu/hr. It can be done, but at quite an expense.

• defrost49
    9 years ago

Have you got Eliot Coleman's books? Are you planning to market tomatoes? I have a less ambitious single layer plastic hoop house but it was cheaper to build a wooden frame with peak because of snow loads here in NH. It usually slides off. Spinach is very durable other things are not. I found I could get tomato plants to last a little longer but the flavor was poor. Advice was it was better to use hoop house to get them in the ground sooner in spring instead of keeping them going longer in fall.

Other vegetables such as chard are must hardier plus they sweeten up with the cold. Love the flavor. So my question is why focus on tomatoes?

• jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)
    9 years ago

As a builder/farmer with 6 high tunnels. Building a 25 by 50 tunnel with 3/4 inch conduit would be an epic failure. 3/4 inch conduit is a reasonable material to build a low tunnel out of. A spacing of 5 foot would also be a complete failure. I have a tunnel with 6 foot spacing and the pipe is 2.5 inch galvanized steel.

You need to build it out of chainlink fencing toprail, bare minimum. A spacing of 3 ft, maybe 4 ft, but in your location, 3 feet would be better.

Sorry to be so negative, but I just would prefer you to be successful and not have an epic fail.

Jay

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Agree on the current plan being way under built especially for all winter gardening and a big heater. The snow will crush it if the wind doesn't blow it away first.

Also you can't get quality poly covering for that price. That's almost as big as mine and my coverings have run ~$600 for cheapest 4yr 6mil poly to $1200 for double layer woven.

Double poly is only an advantage in high winds and for a heated structure. For season extension single layer is about as good.

I'd estimate the cost to heat that structure to 60F in a WI winter at several thousand dollars maybe 5-8 thousand.

Without heat you aren't going to gain enough to make it worthwhile IMO. You'll gain some on cool season crops but those melons are too late with or without unheated high tunnel.

I'd scale way back to gain experience.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 23:39

• survivalgardener
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry I haven't replied in the past few days. I have been busy.

Anyways regarding the 3/4'' conduit I did not mention I would also be running either 3/4'' conduit or maybe even 1' conduit straight across each hoop every few feet high (haven't worked out an exact spacing yet) and there will be some kind of support going all the way down the center of the green house that will be anchored at least a couple feet into the ground. As far as hoop spacing goes my original plan might be pushing it so I will probably go half of that (2.5') just to be safe.

As far as the plastic goes I looked on a few websites for 25' x 50' 4yr 6 mil poly greenhouse plastic and came up with some estimates of prices. First of all for a single layer the price runs around $160-$200 or so. For a double layer tube I am looking at $400-$500. Am I missing something here? Am I not looking at the right kind of plastic? Also what are the advantages/disadvantages to using a tube versus 2 single layers?

As far as heat goes I have a few options for that that I will get into at a later time but that is not as immediate of a concern. As far as scaling back goes I am scaled back compared to what we have planned here. We want to eventually have 3 greenhouses this size up and a lean to greenhouse going most of the way around the house. Not to mention a bunch or raised beds. But all of that is going to take time and I have to start somewhere.