Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Liquid latex on cattle panels?

Posted by belgianpup Wa/Zone 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 23:48

I was reading a book on building your own greenhouse and hot beds with various materials.

Two of the suggestions were galvanized pipe and rebar. The author said wherever the plastic film rubs on metal, a hole will appear. He suggested covering the metal with rubber or foam tubing.

All the materials I could find would be pretty expensive. Then I thought of that latex used to dip tool handles in.

I am thinking of using a small roller to roll this material onto the metal where it would touch the film.

Has anyone done anything like this?

My first thought was to roll the latex on the side of the panels that would be on the outside, then arch them into place. Then I wondered if bending the panels would stretch the latex too much.

My second thought was to arch the panels into place, then roll the latex on the outer surfaces.

Any thoughts?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Liquid latex on cattle panels?

Cattle panels make a good little greenhouse about 8 feet wide. I made one and used it for one year and then went much larger. The metal never rubbed a hole in the plastic. Just bend them with the vertical pieces on the inside. Run your hand over the horizontal pieces and if you find a rough spot, grind it or file it down or wrap it with tape. The ends are the problem, there is a very easy and cheap fix. The wires stick out about 1/2 inch. So I took black pipe insulation as small as you can find and put it on the ends. Then wrap a few pieces of tape every few feet. This covers the ends and protects the plastic. You could use plastic pipe or even garden hose, but you will have to split those. The pipe insulation is foam and is already split.

Here is a picture of the building that I built three years ago.

Photobucket

o

Here's a site that shows a hoop house made from square tube coated with what I believe is a clear plastic coating. They don't indicate any issues with rubbing through. I really like their design too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hoop House

o

Wow, jrslick, thanks for the great idea! How well do those hold up to strong winds and how do you anchor them?

o

They are anchored to the ground at the corners. I set a 4 by 4 post in the ground 3-4 feet. The baseboard is screwed into these 4 posts, one at each corner. The bigger one has posts in the corner and one in the center. I had shorter baseboards to put together to reach 18 feet.

Wind, the PVC building rocks and rolls alot, but it has been up for 3 years. We had a tornado that was less than a 1/4 mile away. We lost shingles and had a window broke out. The buildings were ok. Some rips and tears in the plastic, but all was good.

Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here