Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to plant for indoor school greenhouse

Posted by organic_pokey (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 11:24

I am a teacher and was just given an 8X8 greenhouse to use in the classroom. I want to make the best use of it. My hope is to grow a variety of vegetables, herbs and flowers. Are there any suggestions as to what are the best vegetables to grow from start to finish in an indoor greenhouse? I'm looking to start with very simple and basic vegetables; ones that the students can identify with. For example: lettuce, tomatoes, radishes, onions, etc....
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to plant for indoor school greenhouse

I have some seeds of a really small sized tomato that you can grow in a hanging basket or 10" pot. It would be a good one for the kids because they are ready in 60 days and they live for a really long time.
The miniature sunflowers are fun and you can grow them in a 6" pot. Most of the kids won't be too thrilled with onions and radishes, it's not kid food! Banana plants are fun, not for the bananas but because they grow so fast and look different. Figs are also something fun to grow that grows fast.
Do you have supplemental light in your indoor greenhouse? if not, then it's going to be quite a challenge to grow anything other than houseplants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here