Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pergola rain cover?

Posted by mharmon Seattle WA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 13:43

Hello,

I am designing a pergola to attach to the south side of our house and would like to install some kind of a clear material over the top of it to allow us to spend time under the pergola when it's raining. It's consistently wet here from October through June. I would like to have a climbing vine or 2 over the top of the clear cover to provide some shade and greenery. Does anyone have any expierience with this?

What did you use for the clear material?

How much of a maintenance issue is it to have a vine growing over the top of it?

What vine or plant would you recomend?

A Kiwi would be nice but dealing with fruit on top of a clear cover is probably a problem.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

mharmon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pergola rain cover?

• Posted by kudzu9 Zone 8b, WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 16, 08 at 20:20

Any clear covering will be a problem: grit/dust, falling leaves, bird droppings, pine needles, etc. I previously lived in a house near Seattle with large skylights and they had to be continually cleaned or they looked hazy, even during the rainy months. I recommend that you definitely have a slope to the roof, and that you use some kind of translucent material (perhaps twinwall?) to make the accumulated grime less obvious.

o

Thanks for the info. When I figure out what to do and finish it I'll post a phot or 2.

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 23, 08 at 21:02

I recovered my patio in San Diego with clear corrugated plastic stuff, sold in 10 and 12 foot sheets at Lowe's/Home Depot. In 4 years or more, it never turned hazy, it did get dirty occasionally, but easily cleaned off with a hose running over it. If you can slope it like mentioned before, that will help clean it easier and stuff will run off with the rain.

My patio was the home for night blooming jasmine, that actually wove itself around the frame of the covering, so the plastic sheets were not affected. (If you can control it that way) I would just suggest a vine with thin stems/runners, something large like a wisteria or the like, could push your clear plastic covering out of place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here