Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My small lean-to idea

Posted by mksmth ok 7a ish (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 16:47

Ok so I plan on building this lean-to on the south side of my house. It will be 4'x6', I know pretty small, but the main use will be for my citrus trees. I do plant tomatoes so possible for them as well. I can only afford 6 mil plastic for the walls, but I intend to put it on the inside and outside giving me a 3.5" airspace between them. The roof is going to be either shingles or most likely corrugated metal because its free and Ill possibly paint it black to help absorb heat. Im going with a solid roof because we can get hail the size of baseballs in the spring. If I need more light I guess I can install a skylight.

I know plastic isnt ideal for holding heat but I hope this will do pretty well. I plan to have a concrete paver floor, black buckets of water, plus the heat from the house, and supplemental electric heat for the coldest times. Ill work out ventilation as im building it.

any chance I can maintain 40 degrees plus. Last year we had a good week in the low teens.

Here is a link that might be useful: lean-to plans

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My small lean-to idea

• Posted by f150dude 7a/b South Jersey(Wi (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 19:57

mksmth it is not easy to determine just by the size of the greenhouse if it will maintain 40*F. No matter what covering you have in or out, it just varies on the day. Winds sucks a lot of the warm air out even in the smallest openings. On "my page" on my link you can view my greenhouse which is larger than what you have (10x12), which I need to heat in order to keep it above 40, if the outdoor temps are 30 or lower. Before you put plants in there, you can check temperatures throughout the day. My lean-to has a door from the living room so i can go out there during the winter without going outside, plus when it gets warm during the day I can open the door and let the heat in. I keep the thermometer inside, and stick the sensor out in the GH so I don't have to go out all the time and check the temp. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions, I will do my best to answer.. steve

o
RE: My small lean-to idea

strange, I had replied and it didnt show up. anyways thanks for the input, seeing you greenhouse gives me some ideas.

thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here