Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my latest glasshouse

Posted by rafor (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 8, 10 at 17:00

Thought I'd cross-post here. I posted this on the garden junk forum since it's made with mostly old windows and doors. Look if interested. Ignore if not! Also included in another album are pics of my first glass house on the West Coast. We moved to the East Coast before it was finished :(

Here is a link that might be useful: glass garden house

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my latest glasshouse

Hey, that is definitely not JUNK! It is gorgeous and I really appreciate what you are doing there.

I read you caption about painting the doors a different color than the white for the windows. I think that is a great idea, to help someone find the entry....:)

There are several folks over on Smaller Homes Forum who are involved with sheds and other fun structures. I will mention your efforts to them. We also have a goodly number of threads over there about sheds and resources and examples in books.

Thanks for sharing. I don't hang out on as many garden forums, now that we are busy redoing two houses 1500 miles apart.

o

• Posted by f150dude 7a/b South Jersey(Wi (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 10:45

i agree with moccasinlanding, that is def not junk... that is a beautiful structure and i really lke the roof. can't wait to see when it's finished!! Good Luck

o

That is so inspirational! Iv been putting off my GH for 3 years now, but you've given me some great ideas. Iv also got a barn full of odd sized windows. Did you make paper cut-outs & then piece them together to fit? Im going to go measure all my windows this weekend but iv got over 100 so iv been puetting it off. Im not looking forward to making them fit & witch ones to use. I like the post & beam constrution. Please take more pictures!!!

o

mastino: no paper cut outs. I just try to match the size of the window to the opening and try for some symmetry when I have several windows the same size. I also surround each window with a 2 by 4 (not really around the window but attach an upright and then put in the window and then add another 2 by 4 on top) and then just keep working that way. Some places might need two 2 by 4s to fit right. Sometimes I lay out the 2 by 4s and the windows down on the floor to see if the total measurement adds up to what I need. It's basically like a puzzle and then I get second and third thoughts and drive my friend crazy!!!

o

Thanks Rafo,
You gave me allot to think about! Iv decided to do a small one first to learn from plus a smaller GH (MIGHT) actually get built this year.LOL Thanks again for the ideas!

o

Thanks for the comment mastino! I've just added some newer pics to show our progress this weekend. My goal is to have it all closed in by the end of October. Wish me luck!

Anyone want my left over windows? I'm in NH.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 new progress photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here