Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rafor

my latest glasshouse

rafor
13 years ago

Thought I'd cross-post here. I posted this on the garden junk forum since it's made with mostly old windows and doors. Look if interested. Ignore if not! Also included in another album are pics of my first glass house on the West Coast. We moved to the East Coast before it was finished :(

Here is a link that might be useful: glass garden house

Comments (6)

• User
    13 years ago

Hey, that is definitely not JUNK! It is gorgeous and I really appreciate what you are doing there.

I read you caption about painting the doors a different color than the white for the windows. I think that is a great idea, to help someone find the entry....:)

There are several folks over on Smaller Homes Forum who are involved with sheds and other fun structures. I will mention your efforts to them. We also have a goodly number of threads over there about sheds and resources and examples in books.

Thanks for sharing. I don't hang out on as many garden forums, now that we are busy redoing two houses 1500 miles apart.

• f150dude
    13 years ago

i agree with moccasinlanding, that is def not junk... that is a beautiful structure and i really lke the roof. can't wait to see when it's finished!! Good Luck

• mastino
    13 years ago

That is so inspirational! Iv been putting off my GH for 3 years now, but you've given me some great ideas. Iv also got a barn full of odd sized windows. Did you make paper cut-outs & then piece them together to fit? Im going to go measure all my windows this weekend but iv got over 100 so iv been puetting it off. Im not looking forward to making them fit & witch ones to use. I like the post & beam constrution. Please take more pictures!!!

• rafor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mastino: no paper cut outs. I just try to match the size of the window to the opening and try for some symmetry when I have several windows the same size. I also surround each window with a 2 by 4 (not really around the window but attach an upright and then put in the window and then add another 2 by 4 on top) and then just keep working that way. Some places might need two 2 by 4s to fit right. Sometimes I lay out the 2 by 4s and the windows down on the floor to see if the total measurement adds up to what I need. It's basically like a puzzle and then I get second and third thoughts and drive my friend crazy!!!

• mastino
    13 years ago

Thanks Rafo,
    You gave me allot to think about! Iv decided to do a small one first to learn from plus a smaller GH (MIGHT) actually get built this year.LOL Thanks again for the ideas!

• rafor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comment mastino! I've just added some newer pics to show our progress this weekend. My goal is to have it all closed in by the end of October. Wish me luck!

Anyone want my left over windows? I'm in NH.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 new progress photos

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!