Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gazebo Greenhouse?

Posted by grmadarr 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 28, 10 at 17:52

I have a gazebo on the end of my front porch that I would like enclose and use as a greenhouse.Have been looking on this forum for ideas.I just don't know what I need to get it started.Can sure use some advise from you good people. Many thanks for any help you can give me. Darr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gazebo Greenhouse?

I think that a greenhouse in your porch gazebo would be lovely. Install glass panels between your porch posts all the way around, and frame in a pretty glass storm door. Your structure will be protected from weather by the solid roof and the eaves on your porch.

If your porch has a wood deck you'll need to cover it with something to stop the cold air from blowing in underneath. Another layer of porch decking laid crosswise to the existing boards, leaving no spaces between them, would still allow drainage. If you have a concrete porch, you might just put down some bricks or pavers to insulate the floor a bit.

Don't forget hooks for hanging some lush ferns and space for a chair and table, so you have a place to sit, read, and enjoy. Cheryl

o

Thanks for the post Cheryl. Doesn't seem like you get much response if your new to these forums.I appreciate your ideas!!

o

Hi Darr,

You're right, responses can get a little slow around here.

I think you'll get more action if you provide more info. Posting a picture of the gazebo would answer lots of questions. Then include how you plan to use it. (Big difference between providing a year round greenhouse for
orchids versus one that will be used for starting veggies). There can also be a big difference if you want to optimize the area for your plants or create a nice sitting area like Cheryl suggested.

You'll find lots of good info here.

o

You are right about the info. I will try to get some pictures on the forum so all can see what I am talking about. Thanks for the post Pabloverde Darr

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here