Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosepedal_gw

Greenhousers check in........

rosepedal
15 years ago

Hi I am rosepedal Barb from Ne wi going on my 2nd year in a 10 by 12 Hfgh and learning alot from all the members here. Smile and Hugs Barb

Comments (56)

• eurotrash
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Chris here from Missouri.

It's been my first year with a greenhouse (10x12HFGH). Thanks to this forum I managed to get it built sturdy and it survived both the Spring storms and Helicopters buzzing the land (local police at 30 feet!). I started all my seedlings in the GH, but have moved them outside in stages during the early Summer. So far I've had a fantastic crop of Tomatoes, Peppers, Chilli's, Squashes, Melons, Sweetcorn and Green Beans. They more than make up for the planting disasters I've had.

I'm aiming to get power to the GH during the Fall and keep it going as long as I can during the winter without busting the household heating budget, then I'll close it down and resume early next year.

I've already learned a lot with this hobby, but I now realize how little I know. So, thanks to everyone in this forum for the help and guidance you've provided - and I can't wait until next year (I've so many plans and that 10x12 isn't big enough to hold them all!)

Chris

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

Kim, Yes it is very HOT and DRY here in the Western part of Tennessee. I have started a rain barrel(s) project also and that helps me keep things watered alot easier between rains as well. I am glad that Barb started this thread so that we can all hear from other GH'ers and find out whats going on in other parts of world. Keep em coming folks!!! Jackie

• C Schaffner
    15 years ago

I'm Carlyn, from Southern California. I got my greenhouse to winter my plumerias after our freeze a couple of years ago. I only lost one this past winter due to rot. I don't think it ever froze, though. I only had to turn the heater on about three days.
    After I moved my plumerias out this spring I had a big empty greenhouse sitting there. SOOO, I decided to grow some orchids. That has been fun and I have been slowly collecting them. I also root my plumerias in there on a heat mat. I'm not sure what's going to happen this winter when I move my plumerias back in. I'll have to get creative.
    My greenhouse is my sanctuary. I go out there and hang out for a while every day. It's so cool. The ventilation fan comes on, then the misters come on, It cools down 10 to 15 degrees. It hasn't been too hot here yet this summer.

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Carolyn,
    My new plumies are mad. They are getting yellow leaves and dropping. I am gonna give them some fertilizer today...

The rain barrel sounds like a great idea Jackie. We have a guy down the road that seels the plastic 55 gallon drums for 5 bucks. I just might have to go get one...

Congrats Chris on your bummper crop. Yummy. Helicopters that sounds scary..LOL Just as long as the plants dont mind.LOL

This is what we have so far...

Canada
    WI
    Tennesee Jackie and kim
    Florida
    Minn
    Missouri
    California

6 states represented and another country. It would be neat to get all the states in here. I love how everyone uses their gh for something different. Yes do keep them coming... Barb

• krayers
    15 years ago

Jackie, we've also talked of trying to catch rainwater to help with watering which is very expensive here. DH has considered a cistern - we have a lot of area to water. The rain barrels would be much cheaper & easier to install I think. Have they been worth the effort for you? Did you link the barrels? Our problem is that our property is very hilly, & using gravity for output will be very difficult. Kim

• lmieke
    15 years ago

Another from TN here--Linda by Paris. Haven't hung around this site for a while, we went back to TX for a while, but couldn't stand it. Just this past Saturday, hubby and I worked on the foundation for the Rion greenhouse we started in 2005. Having a hard time getting it perfectly squared at the corners and afraid if we don't, we'll have problems when we try to put the upper part onto the lower frame. Can an 8 x 12 be off by an inch or so without causing too many problems? I'm getting real excited about getting it finished. I've got a lot of succulents and semi-tropicals from TX that will need it this winter.
    I've also rounded up a couple barrels I'd like to paint black, and then fill with rain water for heat and water in there this winter. I saved the old sink from our kitchen remodel to be used in the potting shelf. Trying to get "running" water to it with a hose connection for the time being. Will be checking out everyone's progress more regularly, now.

• funnylady
    15 years ago

If you're not square you will have problems with doors and roof vents opening and closing. Also poloycarb panels will not fit properly.
    Carol

• krayers
    15 years ago

Carol's right. We had our 10x16 almost perfectly square and because our greenhouse is so tall, still had problems getting it all lined up just right. The more square you can make it the better.
    Kim

• greenhouser
    15 years ago

I'm also from TN. About 20 miles south east of Nashville. No rain here for weeks. Water tubs under the out-building's roof line are all empty (no gutters). All together they hold maybe 1000g of water. It takes 1 1/2" of rain to fill them all. This is our second drought year and we're losing native trees and domestic shrubs. We can't keep everything watered. Global warming?

• snowdogmama
    15 years ago

Hi, I'm in Utah. I have a small 8 x 16 approx gh that is attached to the side of my garage. Its an aquatic gh with two 500 pools inside. I plan on making a couple of web pages for it, but haven't done it yet. Its coming to the end of the growing season here so I am working on bringing plants inside. I am trading things that I don't want or need, starting new cuttings, repotting and checking for bugs. I figure I've got about 3 weeks left before everything must be inside.

• rjinga
    15 years ago

Hi all, Rhonda here in middle GA. This will be my second winter with my 10x12 HFGH. We have such mild winters here, that I only had the heater going out there a few times last year.

I am currently sitting with windows out (from a recent tornado that went by this area. I have a pile of bricks and sand sitting outside just waiting to be put in place for a much needed floor.

My GH has become a storage shed this summer, and slowly but surely I'm getting weeds pulled and stuff moved out to start that floor.

I intend to keep my ferns and tropicals there this winter. With any luck I'll get DH to get some electricity out there too. But if all else fails, I can do what I did last year and run an extension cord.

• anne79
    15 years ago

Hello, I'm from coastal southwestern Washington. We have had a mostly cool summer, in fact today was torrential downpours. The slugs are in full attack mode, what a dreadful summer for us and my poor plants. When we have sun - we go straight to the high 80's, hard on plants and people too with our high humidity. Usually mid July through end of September is our best time of year. Luckily we built a 12X20 foot hoop style greenhouse, so our tomatoes have thrived. I have been so thrilled to finally have a GH of my own. I have been happily making cuttings of some of my favorite hardy plants, focusing on my favorite succulents, sedums and hens& chicks using them to create some beautiful container gardens. My husband also hooked up two rain barrels, very easy and we got the barrels for free. Happy growing, Anne

• clair_schwan
    15 years ago

Clair from SE Wyoming here. I have constructed three homemade greenhouses, one converted from an old shop 16 by 30, one made on top on a deep raised bed 14 by 36, and one made with a tubing bender 20 by 62.

The number and size of our greenhouses may seem a bit excessive, but they are necessary in our climate. It is dry and windy, and we have late and early frosts, so outdoor gardening can be done, but it is a challenge. Also, hail is an issue. It shreds leaves and dimples fruit.

This is our first year and we put all but the largest greenhouse in service. Our goal is to be produce independent. We are harvesting summer squash at the rate of about 8 to 12 pounds every 4 days. Our winter squash is also abundant. More lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and peas than we can comfortably use. Herbs are also abundant.

We're happy about our first year success, and learning about overheating, critters sneaking in, raised beds, trellises, plant spacing, and underground solar hot water systems. We are also going to push the limits of our gardening season. We started two months early this year, and we're growing cold hardy vegetables now for a winter harvest.

I look forward to learning and exchanging information with others as I am certain there are others that want to eliminate their produce bill.

Here at the Best of Both Worlds, our mindset is frugality and self-reliance, and we are loving every minute of it.

Clair

Here is a link that might be useful: Details about my three homemade greenhouses

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Update. This is what we have as of 08/26/08

Canada
    WI
    Tennesee Four
    Florida
    Minn
    Missouri
    California
    Utah
    Georgia
    Washington
    Wyoming

We are up to 10 states and another country. We are getting there. I hope we can get all the states. Clair nice setups. Very inspiring to newbies. It can be done on your own! Thanks for sharing.... Barb

• sheys-garden
    15 years ago

Hi, Im in N.C. and this will be my first full winter with my 12x14 GH. I Hope my overwintering goes well.

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Shey,
    I understand your worries. I invested a lot this year in plants and worry if I can take care of them this winter in the gh. I ran into problems with spider mites early in spring and had a difficult time trying to figure out how to get rid of them. I think we should do a thread on spidermites so all us newbies can learn something before winter gets here. We can than be better prepared coming this winter.... Barb

• act-upon
    15 years ago

HI All from Grapevine TX (close to Ft Worth)
    Summer heat and dryness allow for not one thing to harvest from the garden this year.

I have a question, I have been given a greenhouse that is 10x20 pvc pipe construction w/ poly carb sides and roof.
    I am not sure how old it is, but it's brittle. IS it worth the effort to take it apart and put it back on my property?
    It's a project that is all mine ...

I have had a gh b4 when I lived in San Antonio and had so much success with it. I am looking forward to getting another one set up.

Thanks for any input and advice.
    Carol

• poppa
    15 years ago

Well, I'll get Newengland on the map!

Poppa (Rob) from western Massachusetts.
    I am in stage II of the GH envy disease.
    I bought a frame 3 years ago (auction) 26 x 253.
    Set MOST of what i wanted two years ago 24 x 50.
    Stared at it for most of this summer. With all the rain we have had All my projects are Waaaaaaaay behind.
    I hope to get the rest done this fall.

Then i get to sit back and wonder what i am going to heat it with.

• orchiddude
    15 years ago

Dont forget me. You can add Alabama to ya list. Where have all the old greenhouse peoples gone to? I dont see many of them.

Rob

• sheila0
    15 years ago

Hi All,
    Well, over 6 years ago I started collecting materials for my greenhouse, and to this day, my land is still empty.

I have enough material to build 3 massive greenhouses, and in the meantime I got old........... LOL

This was MY forum, and I have years of saved information from this forum, to build a world famous Greenhouse.

So I thought I would finally come back here, and tell everyone I don't even know, that I actually talked to my yard man, to put the word out there for me, to get started on my garage and greenhouse.

I hope everyone here is doing well, and that I will get to hear from all of you about your greenhouse adventures.

So, sit back, relax, and share your stories with me please, I need a kick in the b*tt to get me started, and there is nothing like hearing about the nightmares everyone has had with their projects, to make me feel better.

See you later today when I get up. Bedtime, I will need all my strength for my old, new, greenhouse project.

Now, what was first? Dirt removal, concrete, ok, time to pull out that ton of papers. nite!

• sheila0
    15 years ago

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! ORCHIDDUDE!!!!!!

Hi Honeypie!!!!

• stressbaby
    15 years ago

Welcome back, sheilaO.

I think.

Other readers should know that there are at least a couple of programs (here and here that apparently filter excessive exclamation points. I haven't tried them but I'm considering it.

• orchiddude
    15 years ago

Hey stressbaby...I am lost, what is the deal with the exclamation marks? I am not sure why you need a filter. Is it something new for chat or something, clueless!!!!!! LOL

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I'm LeeAnne from Portland OR, we had the same horrid summer as Anne from WA.

I have a 6 x 8 HFGH in it's third summer. I grow tropical plants in it year round.

Heat and sun aren't the problem but gray skies are. I need lights.

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Everybody,
    Happy Labor day! Finally hanging the screen door on The gh. Projects just like Rjingas beutiful gh. Nice job....
    Glad to see and hear from so many of you... I hope your holiday is well especailly thinking of you down south with the hurricane. Here is what we have today.

Canada
    WI
    Tennesee Four
    Florida
    Minn
    Missouri
    California
    Utah
    Georgia
    Washington
    Wyoming
    North Carolina
    Texas Happy to see they have gh in the heat down there
    New england
    Alabama - Orchidude helped so many of us....
    Maryland
    Missouri
    Oregon

We are up to 17 states and of couse are favorite from Canada!

Have a nice day! Barb

• squareftgardener
    15 years ago

Another one here from TN. I've been a lurker for some time now but I am just about finished with my 10 X 12 HFGH. I've borrowed all the ideas here for strength modifications and am adding one of my own along with modifications to the modifications here.

I put in 5 3/4" EMT conduits from side to side instead of 3 and I put them on as I added the studs so I wouldn't have to cut the end to go over the corner brackets/braces. Also I put the bottom clip, nut, and bolt in place then I just slid the stud down on the bolt head. I am also going to add 2 3/4" EMT conduits from front to back and tie those into the 5 joists.

Like I mentioned, I'm just about finished. Labor day I completed the entire roof. It was really labor since I did it solo and from a 6' ladder. I have one door hung and so far it is working great.

A little trick that helded me when adding the extra bolts to the studs was to put a small clamp on the stud (one like Sheri used to hold her doors closed). I put the clamp on, add the bolts, slip the stud on the bolt I put in the bottom earlier, add a corner bracket/brace then the top and bottom bolts. I did this all on one side then the other side I had the corner bracket/brace already attached to the conduit. I would stick the end of the conduit with no corner bracket/brace onto the one I added on the other side then bolt it all up. It may sound difficult but it went together pretty good.

I hope the little tips I gave will help others as all the info on the site has helped me.

Johnny
    Soddy Daisy, TN

• gardener365
    15 years ago

IL. Hi Barb,what up stress, what up Rob, hey rjinga, yo wyndyacre (check out my new hoophouse) lady... and all.

Dax

• ladylotus
    15 years ago

Greetings from North Dakota,

I built a 22 X 24' greenhouse last Fall from salvaged materials. It was the most difficult challenge I've embarked on in a long time. I'm a little gal who works as a manager in a large health firm that was not to adept to wielding all these odd tools. ha ha. The largest project I've tackled was building birdhouses. I knew with the cold winters I had to construct something other than just metal and polycarbonate type of greenhouse. So, I created my greenhouse with sliding glass doors and framed them in with 2 X 6's, with mega insulation. The cement footings were also well insulated all this in hopes of reduced heating costs over the winter months.

I'm garden obsessed, I have ventured into so many realms of gardening that I have a challenge just keeping up. ha ha. I have 20 acres and approx. 4 acres in gardens, paths etc. Which is requiring me to plant annual seeds for constant color in my gardens when my perennials are taking a break. In addition, I use the greenhouse for tropical fruits, propogating anything and everything I get my hands on (just for the challenge), grafting conifers and maples and planting perennial & annual seeds.

I weighed the pros and cons of taking up space for a watergarden and did decide to go ahead with the watergarden. So far, I am not at all disappointed with my decision. I have a large outdoor pond and will bring my fish and some tender pond plants into my greenhouse pond for the winter. I will use this water to water my plants during the winter months as it will have a ton of nutrients my plants will just love AND will give me the appropriate water changes required for the health of my koi.

In addition, I did add gutters for the main purpose of collecting the water. I have constructed a rain catching system with barrels on the North end of the gh. The barrels are very easy to make and all have spickets (sp) so that I can easily water my plants during the summer with rain water. WELL worth the time it took to make these rain barrels.

Things are really coming together since I've finally finished the most difficult construction and painting projects and am now in decorating mode. yeee haaaaa. I did not think I would EVER get to this point. The old phrase 'Blood Sweat and Tears' takes on an entirely new meaning with this gh. ha ha I probably could have filled my gh with all the tears. ha ha

I refinished some old cabinets and have those, a sink with running water and electricity in the greenhouse. Since I researched and slowly put in my plumbing and electricity I was concerned things would not work...but they do and fortunately without a hitch thus far (me knocking on wood). Who would have thought this puny, pencil pushing girl would be able to accomplish all of this? It just goes to show you when you want something badly enough you can do ANYTHING.

I do have leaking around the twin wall poly I framed in on the roof, so I will need to get my fanny up there and see what the problem is before winter sets it.

Thanks to all of you for the information, and mostly the INSPIRATION to complete this task. Now, I am enjoying the fruits of my labor so to speak.

~Tj~

• mudhouse_gw
    15 years ago

Way to go, TJ!!! :-)

Well, I'd better get dusty old New Mexico on the map too. Signing in with my HFGH 10x12, still chock full of spiny succulents that made it through the hot summer A-OK, although it sure did get hot in there! My first year has been a constant education, but I'm having lots of fun.

Great to see everyone posting here (nice thread Barb!) I've been AWOL with some minor health issues (OK now) and a long-awaited exterior renovation on our adobe brick house, which is still ongoing. I am looking forward to calmer days so I can get back to focusing on my plants and GH again! Lately I keep a gardening trowel in one hand, and a concrete trowel in the other. ;-)

Thanks to all who have helped keep me encouraged, educated, and on the right path. You folks are great.
    Sheri

• justplaindon
    15 years ago

Well, might as well add another one to the Tennessee list. I'm Don in Memphis. It's taken from early spring to Labor Day(8.5' x 25'). The next thing to do is get the circuit breaker installed so I'll have power inside. I tore down an old shed that had 240 VAC so the line is there, but want something that is a bit more "water" friendly.

I've got to say that right now I've got a whole lot of spiders who want to live in my greenhouse. :-)

L8r,
    Don
    www.justplainorchids.com

• trigger_m
    15 years ago

Checking in from NorthEast Georgia.Got the propane tank filled recently,so that's one thing I don't have to worry about.Just started cleaning it out,and getting ready for the cold.From the 1st of may till the middle of october it's just too hot in there to grow anything but Spiders!!I've had my 14' x 20' Gothic Arch for several years,and putting it up,and getting the heating/ventilation system sure was a challenge!Mark

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    15 years ago

...and a third Georgia GH.

This will be the third winter for my HFGH. It's a place to play out of the wind and rain.

I potted up some gingers and a colocasia to see how they would fare this winter. All are hardy enough to return after dying back outside, but I'd like to see green inside all winter.

My primary goal is carrying cuttings over for the butterfly garden and starting seeds early that won't get killed by that late frost that usually comes mid-April just when we're complacent that Spring is here at last.

When the tropical depression 'Fay' blew through a couple of weeks ago, we were blessed: the big cedar limbs that fell, missed the GH.

Nell

Here is a link that might be useful: HFGH

• web4deb
    15 years ago

Northeast corner of Connecticut checking in...

Finishing up the first summer of the 10x12 HFGH

-Rob T

Here is a link that might be useful: Details about the greenhouse

• jackie_va
    15 years ago

Virginia checking in. I have only had my HFGH a couple months. We are still trying to get it ready for planting. Saturday is the day!!

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Everbody,
    Wonderful. This is wonderful. We had family all weekend. I went out to check my plumie puu kahea and it is not doing good. Oh well gain some lose some. Part of the growing family. Lol I am so happy to see so many of us out there. We went to a farmers house today to buy some veges (have two vege gardens) Oh the potatoes WI can produce. Yum nothing like a great potatoe from the ground. What is your state special? This is what we have now....

Canada
    WI
    Tennesee six
    Florida
    Minn
    Missouri
    California
    Utah
    Georgia 4
    Washington
    Wyoming
    North Carolina
    New england
    Maryland
    Missouri
    Oregon
    Illinois- Dax conifer expert!
    North Dakota - Ladylotus pond expert
    New Mexico - Sherry Hfgh expert
    Connecticut
    Virginia

I hope that makes 24 or my eyes are deceiving me. On a personal note Sherri it is wonderful to have you back. Tremendous amount of information for the new and old HFGH owners........Welcome home...... Thankks for posting everybody we all are getting there. We need all the states.... Barb

• greenhousems
    15 years ago

I'll give a holler from NJ. We bought this house in 1983 and there was a greenhouse here. It is 20x14 and is a lean-to type structure. The heat is very effective, runs off the hot water heating system from the house. I changed it a little 10 years ago by putting french doors from the dining room so that I could access the greenhouse without going out when it was cold. It helped me and all the family develop a fascination with seed raising. Right now we are experimenting with Citrus and Banana plants. The Greenhouse faces south west so that in Winter the house is flooded with sunlight and warmth coming in through the large expanse of glass. When things get too routine or dreary in the winter or when it snows I head into the greenhouse and can always find something fun to get involved in. I recently started working from home and this is a double blessing... during lunch or a break I can check out the greenhouse 'status'. Good to meet you all. Rosaleen

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Hi form SW PA, built my first hobby GH over 30 yrs ago. The best move I ever made.

John

• vegomatic
    15 years ago

Hi Group! I'm from SW South Dakota, I'm an occasional poster here and on the tomato forums. My first gh was 6x10 and scrounged from lumber saved when we tore down our large deck, that was six seasons ago.

The present version made use of the original framework and doubled in size to a 11x12. The covering is polyethylene twinwall and has worked well.

I looked at lots of pictures but still had a ton of learning to do. Just about all that could go wrong did (and still does!) I mostly grow tomatoes and a few other veggies. I've home-brewed the heating and ventilation systems, which work well. I only wish I could conquer the bug and disease problems as easily. We still get plenty of tomatoes in spite of all that's thrown at them! The ones I plant outside never do as well as those in the greenhouse, our weather is too fickle.

-Ed

• poppa
    15 years ago

Rosepedal... Just to make your list a bit more accurate, you can take "New England" off your list and replace it with Massachusetts, since we now have multiple states from New England checking in..

• goodgreen
    15 years ago

New user here: please add New York (beautiful Finger Lakes Region) to the list. We are (re)constructing a used 30'x70' glass clear span greenhouse over(!) our 400 sq.ft. cabin. Will have 30'x10' greenhouse, 30'x30' conservatory, and 30'x10' partially covered courtyard. Energy efficient features: Ecoblock foundation, thermal storage (500 gallon buried tank gathers run-off), recycled heat (woodstove in cordwood cabin = too much heat = will be pumped into greenhouse portion of structure). Natural canopy (grapes, gourds, hops) to help shade in summer. To do list includes: hot water preheat, crop drying, hydroponic veggie production, small water feature. Ready to start installing glass next week (~400 pieces): trying to beat the frost. Oh, also have have 9'x14' Riga GH (solar power only = no heat, just fans & watering system).
    As William Cowper said: "Who loves a garden loves a greenhouse too."

• C Schaffner
    15 years ago

Hey goodgreen. I'd love to see pictures when it's done.

• bobby864
    15 years ago

hi this is Bobby from Arkansas,i have a 8x10 easy grow hobby GH,and will be going thru my first winter with it soon,i have been growing banana plants and a few palm trees,for the last 3 years,i currently have 40 different varities of banana at this time and with fingers crossed hope i have 40 varities come spring lol we bought the greenhouse because my wife didnt want the the den to look like a jungle again this year,i am very fortunate that she has been so tolerent of my hobby,hey i love you babe...wishing all good luck for the winter months coming...Bobby

• agardenstateof_mind
    15 years ago

Another Garden Stater checking in from New Jersey ... "down the shore."

Hmm, I guess this will be my fourth winter with my little 6x8 HFGH. Last year was a disaster because it got over-filled and was dreadfully difficult to work in, certainly not a place to relax! It's going to be difficult, but I'll be leaving a lot out this year, going back, as much as possible, to overwintering chosen tender perennials, my lemon tree, and growing some herbs and vegetables through the winter. And the chair WILL go back into the greenhouse again!

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cracking up about the chair. Welcome everybody! The gh season has started officially for me. Temps at night are dropping. Brought all the plants in to the GH. It is so nice to see so many of us. Thanks for taking the time to post and letting us know how you utilize your gh. Lots of different reasons out there for them. Some for flowers and some for food. Looking forward to a great winter with all your posts and learning more. Here we go!
    Canada
    WI
    Tennesee six
    Florida
    Minn
    Missouri Two
    California
    Utah
    Georgia 4
    Washington
    Wyoming
    North Carolina
    New england
    Maryland
    Oregon
    Illinois- Dax conifer expert!
    North Dakota - Ladylotus pond expert
    New Mexico - Sherry Hfgh expert
    Connecticut
    Virginia
    New Jersey two
    SW PA
    SW South Dakota
    Massachusetts
    New York
    Arkansas

27 States Big Smile to you all... Thanks for posting Barb

• marthacr
    15 years ago

Add Maine to the list!
    Still working on my 8X10 curved eave aluminum house.

Martha

• rosepedal
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have to add Maine and Another WI Greenhouser to the group. Welcome and Happy holidays......May your flowers be big and your veges be yummy....LOL

• imqtpi
    15 years ago

'Nuther Californian here. Northern Cal. San Jose to be precise!

I was far more "Active" on GW last year, while we were constructing my 6x8 HFGH. Been too busy with "other stuff" to post much lately (My apologies!!!).

I'm on my 2nd winter with my GH and... So far, So good!

My GH is primarily for overwintering "marginals." I've got a Tropical Resort Yard in a Not-So-Tropical climate. Last winter, I had great success w/my marginals in the GH - and I'm expecting the same this winter!

This year, I also experimented a bit w/Hydroponics. DH bought me a HydroFarm MegaGarden System for Christmas last year, and I had WONDERFUL success w/tomatoes grown in the GH - even thru summer (although whiteflies got to be a real PITA by the end of the growing season!) (To say nothing of the veritable Rube Goldberg arrangement of pantyhose and assorted ties used to "trellis" the vines all over the GH! I wished I'd snapped some pictures of THAT!!!)

(Although, truthfully, the Toms grown "in the ground" had better flavor - IMHO. But the Hydro-Toms were amazingly productive!)

...Now NEXT WINTER: My Big Challenge is gonna be "How the heck am I gonna fit these Plumies in here?!!" In fact, that's kinda/almost a fear for *this* year b/c if they grow AT ALL while they're in the GH - I have no clue how I'm gonna get 'em OUT! (If need be, I'll partially de-construct the GH to extricate them!!!).

Yeah, Poor Me! My Plumerias are turning into trees!

Oh, and like agardenstateofmind, I had to forego the chair in the GH :::sigh::: Actually, I don't think I'm EVER gonna be able to fit it back in there!!!

Take heed, Newbies: When they say you'll outgrown your GH in no-time, they're not kidding!!! :-)

-Nancy (aka IMQTPI)

• birdwidow
    15 years ago

I'm Drea, from a rural area about 40 miles south of Chicago. I choose the ID "Birdwidow" because my DH took up with a now 58 year old, Torch Red steel mistress I call the Hussy, because she goes about with her top uncovered and when she stops, old men gather around her, slobbering while engaging in a carnal relationship with her private parts.

What is it with old men, and hot red convertibles?

But I got my revenge: my long desired greenhouse. LOL!

• imqtpi
    15 years ago

Hey birdwidow... I've often wondered about your "handle!" Thanks for the explanation (Love it - BTW!!!)

-Nancy (aka IMQTPI)
    (Also a big fan of Topless Red Hussy-Cars!)

• sugarbee03110
    11 years ago

Hi all, need some help with greenhouse questions. I live in NH zone 5b and I want to try and grow my own flowers from seed this year. I plan on purchasing a couple of portable greenhouses. The ones with 4 wire shelves and a plastic zipped cover. These GH's have no heaters and I dont think they have vents either just a front zipped door. I dont have room for permanent GH so the portable looks like the best plan for me. Once my seedlings have been transplanted into their individual inserts and ready for GH what would the daytime outside temp need to be for me to put the flats in the greenhouse? I can bring them in at night. What would the humidity levels need to be and what is the max humidity level? Also what should the max temp be inside the GH's?. Guess I will need theromo/humidity meters for each GH? Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor