Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuckchuck_gw

Pergola and retractable shade cloth recs

chuckchuck
13 years ago

Greetings all!

I have a patio that could accommodate a 12' X 12' or 12' X 16' pergola. I think my wife and I will probably buy a pre-fabbed pergola...haven't decided exactly on which so feel free to advise (but the wife wants non-wood, on account of the fact that that we are in a super-high fire risk area; I, on the other hand, shun vinyl)...and then we may make our own retractable shade cloth. We get a ton of wind and sun, so we want a fabric that will really stand up to those elements, but we don't care that it is water-proof.

Any suggestions are welcomed at this point, in terms of manufacturers, materials, styles, etc. Mostly I am wondering if there is a good shade-cloth system that I can buy to attach to an existing pergola, or if it might be preferable to build our own shade cloth system with materials of our own choosing. For some of the pergolas I have seen so far that come with retractable shade cloths, I got the feeling the cloth wouldn't be too durable. But as I said, any advice on any related matter is welcome at this point of the planning process!

Chuck

P.S. Also, please let me know if there is a better forum for me to post this kind of question to.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!