Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilsocn

Cold Frame Advice

wilsocn
12 years ago

Hi everyone

This year I have been bitten hard by the gardening / landscaping bug and I am not ready to give it up to be honest. I have been reading about cold frames but so many articles and videos, all with different advice, are starting to make my head spin.

Can someone tell me the minimum amount of space I would need to construct a low cost cold frame? I was thinking of boards for the base, pvc hoops and plastic to cover. The most low budget of the low budget I suppose.

I live in Kentucky and we have those days in Jan and Feb where the temperature does not climb above 20 but most days we probably average a high around 35 - 40 during the coldest months. It might even be a little higher but it sure feels cold as well digger's ___ when the sky is gray and the wind is blowing in from the North.

Can I get by with something that is only 3x3 or perhaps 4x4 and place it in my yard where it gets the most sun and also protected somewhat from the wind?

Im just not sure what the limitations of these things are and what the minimum requirements are if any exist at all. This will be more for a hobby and experimentation rather than trying to grow any real meaningful crop of whatever goes into the soil (probably a lot of salad greens).

Thanks everyone

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm