Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mia_blake

Anyone have experience with a Travis Yoder Greenhouse?

MiaOKC
10 years ago

Hi all - last weekend, we took down the mangled 6x8 Harbor Freight greenhouse we inherited with our house when we purchased it. Don't worry, it's going to a good home (my mother's) where she plans to have my step-dad rebuild it and create a "folly"/herb garden out of it.

We'd thought we would custom-create our own greenhouse (or, greenshed as DH is calling it because I need space to store all my gardening stuff, so we wanted a hybrid potting shed and greenhouse) but I recently ran across a Craigslist post for a man in Arkansas who builds greenhouses and can deliver to this area and am considering going that route instead. I googled it and he has even been written up in several Arkansas newspapers for employing local people, giving the local wood mill work, etc.

He has offered to call me when he makes his next delivery to OKC and let me come look at one in person before it's delivered to a customer, but I'm not sure exactly when that would be so I thought I would ask here, too. Does anyone know anyone or have a Travis J Yoder greenhouse from Arkansas? I'd like to know how they are working for people, advantages/disadvantages, quality of workmanship, etc. You know, all the things you want to consider if you're going to drop a chunk of change on a big purchase!

There are options like an auto vent on the back wall, dutch entry door, shelves, etc.

I don't want to link to a Craigslist ad on GW, but if you look at OKC's CL and search greenhouse you will find it. Here is a pic:

P.S. I've cross-posted this to the OK Gardening forum, since this might be more of a local/regional thing for my area but I thought it couldn't hurt to widen the net here in the GH forum. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• oakhill (zone 9A, Calif.)
    10 years ago

Although I do not have a Travis greenhouse, I can offer a few observations based on the link and photos.

The single layer, corrugated polycarbonate panels look nice, but compared to twin-wall they will lose about twice as much heat in the winter. I would ask if twin wall can be substituted for the single corrugated panels.

From the photos, there does not appear to be top ridge vents. The end vent option would help, but would not provide enough ventilation, compared to roof top ridge vents. Also, bottom side vents would be needed with either venting option.

This post was edited by cuestaroble on Sat, Sep 7, 13 at 21:02

• MiaOKC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, cuestaroble. I had wondered about the single wall, I think they have some sort of corrugated shaped foam to seal the end pieces, but I do think a twin-wall product would be better than trying to create some kind of "air pocket" after the fact with bubble wrap, plastic, etc.

It sounds like the more vents the better, here in Zone 7. I'd originally wanted to custom-build a greenhouse out of mostly sliding patio doors so that I could really VENT it (even my tiny 6x8 HFGH was an oven on sunny days, and that was missing half its panels). When I saw this, I thought a similar pricepoint but without me doing all the work sounded great. But might be too good to be true. The fabricator is supposed to call me when he next brings a shipment to our area so I can go look at in person. We shall see and I will update then.

Any other feedback or comments in the interim are welcome!

• sayprin
    10 years ago

I have not just one but two of Travis's greenhouses. I don't think you can go wrong with one of his greenhouses! The quality of materials and workmanship is exceptional. We bought our first freen house in May 2012. We were so impressed with what was delivered, we gave him the money for a second greenhouse before he left. I do hope you give good consideration to ordering from him...I don't believe you will regret it. Iknow I am still thrilled with both of my greenhouses!

• vanman23
    9 years ago

I am considering one of his greenhouses. Can you comment on the corregated glass? How do you heat if at all? What about the ventilation? What part of OK are you in. I am in the Tulsa area. I will also send you this in an email in case you don't check this forum anymore.

• lillyjane
    7 years ago

I am thinking about getting a yoderb[lt green house. I wanted to know if you can use this year round ? I live in se Kansas zone 6 . does anyone have one of these ? and how do you like it ?