Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vanman23

Opinion about GH

vanman23
9 years ago

This is my first post to the GH forum. I'd like to build/purchase a GH for my tropical/sub-tropical fruit trees. Sizewise, I am look at about 12x16. I found these on the web. http://oakcabins.com/classic_green_008.htm for $2500 no glass and not assembled and this http://stillwater.craigslist.org/grq/4642141035.html for $5950 assembled with what looks like corrugated plastic.

How do think this compares to other GH from Harbour Freight or greenhouse mega store or others?

I can run water, electricity and NG to the site. They tell me that it will be heavy enough not to be anchored. They both are built on skids. What else do I need to consider?

Thanks in advance.

Van

Comments (15)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

Not anchored in Oklahoma?? Tie on a bright banner so you can find it after the first storm.

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

I built my own superior design 15' x 22' with twinwall polycarbonate panels for $2100. 2x4 construction with treated 4x4 posts and foundation piers. I built a 26' x 8' house with used windows for glazing for $600. Why pay more?

9 years ago

Why pay more, because a steel frame will outlast wood by several fold. And I'm not putting glass windows over my head. Also the equipment is more important than frame for optimum plant growth. Cheap greenhouses that over heat in summer are useless for most purposes and especially so for things like the fruits I grow that require chilling in winter, high light, low humidity, and cool summer. If the crop grown doesn't require close control of temperature, humidity, or light then a cheap greenhouse could be fine.

This post was edited by fruitnut on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 11:55

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

Fruitnut, I know that you are doing some good things, especially with your citrus, which I also like. My greenhouses are not "cheap", but are rather incredibly innovative and productive. I don't mind glass on the roof, because I don't live in the gh and am never in danger. My greenhouses were likely the only ones in the state that don't require shading, because they perform so well in the heat. They don't even require a fan. A friend bought a 35' by 72' kit which collapsed with the first snow fall here, I suspect my houses would support almost any snow weight. I've posted lots of photos of them here.

9 years ago

sand:

Can you show us how you keep your greenhouse cool without shade cloth or fans? Are you opening up the top and sides? What's your light level inside? Also a picture of your current crops would be nice.

Thank you!

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

Yes, I'll take some new photos and upload them soon. In the glass house the windows on side and on top are open so that about 50% of the glazing is open. That structure is 200 ft.sq. The polycarbonate glazed structure, about 400 ft.sq. has the east facing wall (22' x 6') totally open. Both structures receive full light and with no power or shading are a few degrees hotter than ambient. My shade lovers are outside and have mostly succulants inside. I did grow excellent cucumbers and squash inside this summer but those crops are now finished. Everything faces east and have a beneficial fencerow of tall trees that shades the west.

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

Still don't know how to post more than one photo per message.

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

squash and cucumbers in June or July

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

I cover the raised beds with pallets when I have container production.

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

Begonias handle the heat well. this part of the house gets no direct sun after about 3 PM

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

My thunbergia weren't that great this year. I've also got some dock growing up between pallet slats. Wood stove and large beucarnia at right. Great aeonium in foreground.

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

Little pickles or Othonna crassifolia. I got starts over the internet after not seeing this plant for 30 years.

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

from about two weeks ago...I making the bed for this winters' vegetables. Notice the model Earth and Moon in scale at top and the decorative glass. Jugs filled with black dyed water are supposed to help against frost. You can see part of roof that's open. This is the used window glass 8' x 26' part.

• sand_mueller
    9 years ago

this is from winter, but can see how the side windows are hinged and open whenever necessary.

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Great pics, Sand, thank you for sharing!

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery