Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonechickchris

Choosing a floor type for Solexx Greenhouse?

bonechickchris
11 years ago

Hi guys,

I am about to get a Solexx Harvester model 8X16 ft greenhouse ( which is a lean-to model, although it does have all 4 sides covered).

With the Solexx, they say there is no need to put down a foundation, and to use theie suggested anchoring tie down equipment. Try me, at first, I was very skeptical about this, but after many hours of reading and reviews from others, it seems that they really do hold up and stay anchored. Even read stories or tornadoes and hurricanes they came through ok.

So, in a way, I am relieved that I do not have to make a fancy foundation for this. Also,although not needed, but for extra support, I will be attaching the one side of the greenhouse to my house too.

So, I am now wondering what to use as a floor base to the GH. And yes, I have done a ton of research of posts here about flooring choices already.However, I did not see many post of the Solexx.

Since one side of the GH will be my house, I am sure will help with warmth a little since I have a whole basement wall under the ground down that one side. So I assume it would not be needed to ground insulate on that side if I choose to do so?

Should I try to insulate around the gh with foam board or such?

If one was more important than the other, I would say keeping heat in the winter would be more important than keeping cooler than in the summer since I will have all plants out for summer anyway. SO holding heat in for the night would be my main goal. So I would like to consider this while choosing a floor.

Most of my yard is already landscaped with white rock. So I could very easily just keep the white rock as the flooring. I know the white would help reflect light. However, not sure if it would help hold in heat for the nighttime.

So I was thinking of maybe using black mulch on the inside? I know just from opening mulch bags that they retain a lot of heat, so I thought this might be one of the best ways to help hold heat in for the winter. I can also make a walkway of concrete pavers if I do not want the whole thing to be mulch.

If mulch (or even keeping the white rock)is a good idea, should I line foamboard underneath it first?

The other thing is that my land has a slight slope to it. I plan to level this a bit before putting the GH down, however, I did read that it is good to have a slight slope to help with draining. So do I still need to make it an exact level ground or would it be good to let it slope down just a bit?

Should I put anything under the base of the GH at all or just do what is suggested by Solexx?

I have read that this Solexx really does keep heat in more so than a lot of other panel choices, so I am hoping that will help a lot with heat retention to begin with. I plan on using an oil radiator type heater as I have seen suggested in other posts here.

If you have any opinions or suggestions, please let me know. I have enclosed the link of what GH I am getting if curious,.

Thanks a bunch!!!! Christy

Here is a link that might be useful: Solexx Harvester Greenhouse

Comments (2)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm