Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
7deuce

Big Storm Preparation

7deuce
11 years ago

What do I have to get my greenhouse ready for this Sandy thing? I screwed down the roof windows already and will lock the door.

Comments (12)

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Do you have shade cloth? If so I might consider putting that on, as it would buffer the panels from flying debris. Then again, it could also come partially unhooked and end up whipping your panels to death.

Locking out the roof windows and disengaging the automatic vent openers is key.

I might also move nearby objects that could potentially be blown into the GH.

The Riga is really strong, so I think you will be totally fine. Stay well and please keep us posted!

• 7deuce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Karin. I don't use a shade cloth and I screwed the windows shut with some metal hardware. The openers are also off.

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Do you have shade cloth? If so I might consider putting that on, as it would buffer the panels from flying debris. Then again, it could also come partially unhooked and end up whipping your panels to death.

Locking out the roof windows and disengaging the automatic vent openers is key.

I might also move nearby objects that could potentially be blown into the GH.

The Riga is really strong, so I think you will be totally fine. Stay well and please keep us posted!

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Whoops - I hit refresh accidentally and it posted again, sorry!

Sounds like you are properly battened down. Good luck and I hope everything is fine.

Karin

• 7deuce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far so good!

• ellicottcitycathy
    11 years ago

I remove two panels on my harbor freight 6 x 8 and leave the door open. I haven't lost a panel so far in three years. Sometimes the wind will blow one off, but I can just clip it back in. I don't have any delicate plants in there now: just overwintering some herbs and mixed greens for salad. The plants do fine, I don't even move them. Of course my dear father put up the greenhouse for me and thought it needed a better foundation than what harbor freight provides. So he raised it on 2 x 12s, sunk 4 foot anchors made of 2 x 4s in the earth and made a freestanding wooden shelving system inside. So those panels can blow off but the greenhouse is not going anywhere! Haven't lost any panels so far today, but the wind is just starting to howl.

• AdamBorzy12
    11 years ago

My response may be light but be safe.
    Let us know what did you do to protect your GH.

• AdamBorzy12
    11 years ago

***sorry about the typo error (should be late not light).
    I just seen the news and I felt sorry for you guys, Hurricane Sandy is really strong.

• another_buffalo
    11 years ago

I was just checking in to hear how the greenhouse fared the storm. With no report yet, I'm fearing the electricity must be out and with it the internet. Hope all is well.

• 7deuce
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No damage!

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

That is amazing! You are one lucky greenhouser.
    I'm glad you made it through OK, and thanks for the follow-up.

Karin

• ellicottcitycathy
    11 years ago

I lost three panels but I found them in the yard and clipped them back in. Everything inside got watered well! Including my composting worms.