Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salads_r_us

Greenhouse Bubble insulation

salads_r_us
18 years ago

We have a glass 8x12 attached Solargro greenhouse. We just conquered the excess summer heat problem and now we're working on holding in heat at night. Our Chill Out foil shade cloth is supposed to help with heat retention, but I can already tell it's not going to be enough. We're growing mostly cool weather veggies and will add a floating row cover when it gets really cold, like Elliot Coleman's technique in the hoop house.

Has anyone used the bubble insulation from Charley's? Does it help retain heat? Is it really any better than the bubble wrap used in shipping? The directions say you can put it up by spraying the glass with water for a temporary application. Does that just mean for a day or two or should you use tape to take it through the winter season? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

MJ

Comments (19)

• stressbaby
    18 years ago

Hi Salads,

I haven't seen Charley's bubble insulation used.

Cactusfreak has popularized the solar pool cover among many on this forum. I bought a 20' x 40' version to try this year on the north wall and over the top of my GH. You can vist Cactusfreak's "my page" to see it in use.

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

I did a cost comparison per square feet comparing bubble wrap to the solar cover and the solar cover was cheaper.
    The shipping bubble wrap is not the same as Charley's. Not as thick and not UV treated.
    Another advantage of the solar pool cover is that it comes in a larger piece instead of strips much easier to put the whole thing on the outside instead of each strip between the channels inside the greenhouse.
    The solar pool cover is a very thick material and made to stay out in the weather.
    Be sure you get the Magni-clear cover and not the blue.
    I leave mine on all winter til it gets really warm in the spring.
    See 'My Page'
    And Thank you Stressbaby. But I don't deserve all the credit. Someone else gave me the idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magni-clear solar pool cover

• salads_r_us
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your suggestion, stressbaby and cactusfreak. I looked up the smaller size magni-clear and it would be about the same price as the Charley's bubble wrap for me. We get tons of snow in the winter, though -- sometimes a couple feet or more in one storm. I'm thinking that anything I have on the outside of the greenhouse will provide friction, keeping the snow from sliding off the slippery glass. I deliberately got the curved eave style so the snow would slide off easily instead of stopping at the end of the roof.

MJ

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

The solar cover is smooth on one side. It is installed with the bubbles down toward the greenhouse. Therefore snow should still slide off.
    Did you see my pictures with ice on the solar cover?
    {{gwi:300051}}

Snow before solar cover.
    {{gwi:291160}}

• Vamptoo
    18 years ago

Wow, that pic looks like something that should be on a postcard. What a beautiful scene.

Cindy

• salads_r_us
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Cactusfreak, I can't see your picures. I tried to post a question with a picture in the tomato forum and couldn't do that either. Had to go to the other website. Pictures here that used to show up for me are now just little squares with question marks. Is it a website glitch or my laptop?

MJ

• cactusfreak
    18 years ago

It is something on your end. You must have a block on your computer or your security settings.
    What do you mean about going to the other website? The gallery?
    Change your security settings and if you still can't see the pictures I will email them to you.

• sandy0225
    18 years ago

I have pretty much the same set up as you, and I apply my bubble wrap on the inside. I got it from Rand supply in Rhode Island, the 5/16" bubble wrap 2 feet wide. I use water tension to hold the pieces of bubble wrap on the vertical glass parts, and I get some stencil spray adhesive from Menards and use that on the horizontal pieces on the roof and on the roof vents. I double up the bubble wrap on the vent flaps by sticking two pieces together with the adhesive, then applying it to the glass. I did find, spray the adhesive on the wrap, not the glass, it sticks better. Also do this on a sunny day, because moisture on the glass when you are sticking the wrap up is not good at all. It will make it impossible to stick it up with the adhesive. I've had mine up on the ends and roof of the greenhouse for a whole year now, I didn't bother to take it down, and it's been fine. Some of the vent pieces did come off though, this spring,it's SO windy here. I did slide off the pieces which were held up with water in the spring to make more light for my tomato seedlings. One thing though, when you order the bubble wrap, tell them it has to be 24" wide. I found some of the 24" rolls they sell are only 23 inches wide, and they had to send me some replacement rolls. If you tell them what its for, they can measure and make sure that its the right size the first time. Just tell them you'e using it in your greenhouse and it has to be minimum of 24" no less.
    one more thing, when you're working around the misters and purlins, etc like I have to, thread the bubble wrap underneath all the obstructions, then while it's hanging there, spray the adhesive on it and stick up one end at a time. Much easier than trying to thread those sticky pieces underneath those. Also you can do the same with the vertical pieces, I thread them underneath my glass shelves in the curved eave pieces, then spray the water under the bubble wrap with the hose. That wrap slides good when it's dry, but sticks tight when wet. If you get a stubborn spot later on that refuses to stick, you can use a blow dryer to dry the glass and bubble wrap and restick it, or just start with a new piece and use the blow dryer to dry the glass.

Here is a link that might be useful: greenhouse with bubble wrap (view from outside)

• Ruth_pa5
    18 years ago

The first year, Charley's bubble insulation cut our heat bill by about 1/3. I'm just about to order it again, given the cost of propane.

• weebus
    18 years ago

You may want to look at the thread that's titled bubble wrap question.

• blueflax_23325
    18 years ago

I desire you all's hand's-on guidance with how to clean behind the bubble insulation in my gr house, and reapply the adhesive in prep for the winter. I heat with propane.
    Damage to my ulnar nerve has removed 75% of t/grip strength from my left hand, but I must get this work done. They say oil prices will soar this winter. Though we d/n have lots of snow, high winds suck the heat out of my house as fast as I can get it in there. :)

• jaroban
    18 years ago

This is my first post however I have read many post. I have a HFGH bought last Febuary. With pic from this forum I was able to put it together . That said I have a question. I accuired a blue swimming pool insulation cover. I would like your advice on putting it on . Will it be to heavy when we get our usual ice storms here (Texas)? Robby

• muscadines978
    9 years ago

Any new info on using a solar pool cover to cover the top of a green house for extra insulation?
    I just ordered a 16'x28' solar pool cover for my green house.

• muscadines978
    9 years ago

I installed a pool cover over my green house the other day. It seems to be helping. The temp outside was 27 yet the temp inside with an electric heater only went down to 48. A few nights before I installed the pool cover the temp inside went down to 37 and the outside temp was also 27.
    So far so good.

Hans

• Hans P. Gruetzenbach
    9 years ago

CAN'T FIND ANYTHING!!!!!

• arielphf
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi all!

On advice from the forums here at Gardenweb, I bought a clear pool cover for use in my 6'x 8' HFGH. I put it on the inside of the greenhouse, because I was worried about the weather and winds blowing the stuff off the outside. It has been helping enormously! The temperature hasn't gotten below 50 in there since I installed it!

The only problem I found was getting the stuff to stay on the walls. What I most wanted to cover were the metal beams that make up the skeletal structure of my HFGH since, on really cold days, those aluminum beams transmit the cold right inside the greenhouse, but they were the only place to attach the plastic to, especially in the corners. I tried tape, even duct tape, but taping to the alternatively freezing or wet metal just wasn't working. In the end, I built a small frame of 2"x2"s that pressure fit into the inside of the greenhouse and attached the pool cover to that. It holds it up splendidly and even gives me a place to hang a few things!

I'd have posted the pictures, but the new forum doesn't seem to like them. Hmmm... sad. Hope the links work! Edit: Nope, links don't work either. Hmm... try taking a look at my greenhouse over at -

s17(dot)photobucket(dot)com(forwardslash)user(forwardslash)Arielphf(forwardslash)library(forwardslash)Greenhouse ( replacing the slashes and dots and parentheses as necessary)

• irenebott
    9 years ago

I used regular shipping bubble wrap, I don't heat my small greenhouse, but the bubble wrap seems to help, but only during the daytime. Night time temps are equal to outdoor temps. I can not wait for spring!!!

• Hans P. Gruetzenbach
    9 years ago

I just got a Big Buddy LP heater from Amazon at $119. Saw a lot of good reviews on it. I do have a 240 volt electric heater costing me an extra $60/month to keep it up to 48*. The big Buddy claims to heat at low for 220 hrs or 18, 12 hr days, on a 40# tank. You can run it's fan on 4 batteries but I bought an adaptor since I do have electricity. I figure if it keeps it at about 55 for 18 days at $18/ fill up it will be worth it. I will keep track and see what happens.

Hans

• muscadines978
    7 years ago

Has any one ever used a solar pool cover as a double Polly cover for a green house and blown air between the 2layers for extra insulation for both summer and winter and in the summer put 50% shade cloth over it to cool the green house?????