Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatadeniumguy

When do you dust off your Greenhouse

thatadeniumguy
9 years ago

I was thinking I'd start this weekend. We weren't supposed to get this cold last night. It dipped into 46 degrees. Most night have been mid 50s. Weather reports estimated a low of 58. I rarely see a mistake this dramatic (12 degrees!). Fellow californians, when did you/will you be dusting off your cold frames or greenhouses?

Comments (4)

• hudson___wy
    9 years ago

We are not Californians - and I am not positive what you mean by "dusting off your GH" but if you are referring to Fungiciding-Insecticiding the GH - we wait here in Wyoming until all the plants have expired naturally or terminated by frost and the GH is shut down for the winter - that varies from year to year - but usually in October/November. We already have night time freezing temps (19-28 degrees now and getting colder week by week).

We power wash the polycarbonate (inside and out) and then vaporize/fumigate/Dust the GH with Sulfur. We fumigate/Vaporize/Dust again in March before planting in the GH for the new season.

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

I guess the equivalent to dusting off the greenhouse here in my zone would be when do we turn on the heater. As soon as it dips below 45 at night i turn on the pilot in my natural gas heater. At 40 is the low heat setting. I grow hot peppers. The tops are now down at night on my cold frames, except over the brussel sprouts.
    Our lows are now around 42 to 50 right now.

• mudhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Not a Californian, but when the nighttime lows start to be around 45 it gets my attention, so now is a good time to start "dusting off the greenhouse." I have plants in there year round, but now I'll get my electric heaters out of storage and plug them into the thermostats.

We've had some lows in the high 40s, so it's also time to start moving my non-hardy potted plants off the patios and into their winter home. The crew that lives in the greenhouse year round gets shifted into tighter formations, to make room for the others.

Lugging those big pots around is not quite as much fun as it was when I was a few years younger. Fall never seems to last long enough...

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

I know exactly what you mean about lugging pots. I seem to have done nothing but lug pots for the last month.
    I'm like a woman obsessed with re-arranging the furniture, over and over and..
    I now have my orange habs from the 6x4 gh stuffed in the 6x8 gh and the outside grown ring of fire stuffed in the 6x4. The 6x4 will only be heated with a couple of kerosene lanterns until it get's to the point that freezing can't be foiled. Then I'll pull the pots back out and empty.
    And the beat goes on..
    The 6x8 has a ng heater and that is why I stuff as much as possible into it as the temps drop below 45.

If I could afford the price it could be heated all winter.

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz