Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdwidow

Cheap and simple plug in thermostat

birdwidow
16 years ago

I recall a thread recently from someone looking to add a thermostat to a portable electric heater and think I may have found just what they need. It's called a "Thermo-Cube" and costs about $15.00. It's a plug in thermostat, made in different on/off temp ranges, some for heat, others for cold.

If any of you want to avoid runnning out to your GH in the middle of the night to turn your portable electric heater on or off, one of these little plug in thermostats may be a cheap and simple solution for you. Ditto for floor fans in summer.

Comments (26)

• pcan-z9
    16 years ago

Hey thanks BW!! I need some of these things!! Where did you find thoses???

• cactusfreak
    16 years ago

This is one of the cheaper places to get one.
    I have seen them at $15 or less. Keep searching.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermo cube

• cactusfreak
    16 years ago

Another one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermo Cube

• tigerfern
    16 years ago

What about this?? I have one, and you can wire it to heat or cool. I accidentally killed it when I put 24 amps(2-12 amp heaters)through it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheap Thermostat

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

cactusfreak 7

But look at the temps they come on and go off at. Not good for the typical GH. I bought the portable type you can adjust just like a house thermostat at www.kkontrols.com. They were 1/2 the price there than at Charlies. I bought two. They work great.

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

cactusfreak 7

But look at the temps they come on and go off at. Not good for the typical GH. I bought the portable type you can adjust just like a house thermostat at www.kkontrols.com. They were 1/2 the price there than at Charlies. I bought two. They work great.

• stressbaby
    16 years ago

Cactusfreak! Where ya been?

Guys, Cactusfreak is a GH forum maven from way back.

CF, you need to show these folks your GREENHOUSE!

• birdwidow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Greenhouser: You are right. The kkontrols thermostst is far superior in temp. range than the Thermo-Cube. But it's also more than double the cost and someone here was looking for something cheap, so I thought the cube might be what they could use.

Nevertheless, I'm glad I posted this thread, because it's brought another product to our attention. Perhaps there are even more. If so- bring them on everyone!

I believe we come here to share info. and ideas and I for one, am grateful for every bit that I glean every time I log on.

• mudhouse_gw
    16 years ago

Boy, is that the truth. I'd be totally lost without the posts and info presented here.

Cactusfreak, seconding Stressbaby's post...I really would love to see some pics of your wonderful greenhouse. I remembered some from past posts as I wandered about, if you have more to share that would be terrific!
    Sheri

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

birdwidow

I'm with you! Bring on any products of interest, especially places with really good prices. :)

I've learned a lot on this Forum.

BTW, we're expecting our first freeze tonight. I ran out and took some last minute cuttings of the beautiful red Impatiens and white begonias.

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

Us also, but not a hard freeze I hope.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    16 years ago

1. I don't see 35 degrees being a safe temp for the heater to kick on. Part of the greenhouse may be frozen already.

2. Many heaters already come with built-in thermostat.

dcarch

• cactusfreak
    16 years ago

You asked if tooo much to read just skip it. I understand.
    No new pictures but a link to my photo bucket is below and MSN pictures link at the bottom of my page.
    Sorry if long and boring. It has been for me too.

Stressbaby and all, I had back surgery in Nov. 2005. Spinal stenosis(spinal canal closes and pinches nerves, they took the roof off my spine. 2 compressed disc, tons of spurs the size of chestnuts and my entire spine had slipped forward. Big words I would have to look up again. 10 rods in lower back. 2 Months in brace, 3 months of thearpy and a 2 year recovery.(almost there)
    Still on Morphine, nerve blockers and seizure meds. Got off muscles relaxers so I didn't sleep all the time.
    In the very few minutes I could do anything, I remodeled my bathroom due to a leaking shower pan so I tried to make it handicap accessible as possible. I did most of the tiling, even some of the ceiling my DH did the rest.
    After that I've been resting in bed or recliner for months and months. My DH would make sure the greenhouse water system was working. I only have been in it 2 times this whole year. I associate going outside with pain so I just go the door and look out. I haven't done any yard work in over two years. And now we are on a total water ban so I'll check my losses next spring. I do have 15 rainbarrels but my water transfer pump broke so I must dip out the water or let it run out the spigot at it's own pace. Luckily we got a few rains so I've been good for two weeks. I catch the water from my shower while the water warms up(over 2 gals a shower so about 5 gals from me and DH. I use it for house plants and to top off the pond.
    I fell off a ladder in the greenhouse 3 years ago and it just added to my already bad back. Dr's say I just wore it out nothing to do with the fall but can't convince my mind of that so I'm afraid to do much. Even on morphine and Dilaudid and all the other meds the pain stopped me. Plus I am not to ever lift more than 5 lbs. (HA!)
    I think by next summer I'll be strong enough again to do a little at a time.
    Thanks for listening.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of yard and greenhouse.

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

cactusfreak

This is what I got at the URL you provided:

This album is private. Please login.
    Logging into cactusfreak
    Password:

Note: cookies must be enabled and not blocked

• cactusfreak
    16 years ago

I unblocked it. No password needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: My greenhouse

• mudhouse_gw
    16 years ago

That is a huge greenhouse! And, your yard and plants are lovely. I'm so sorry to hear about how difficult the last few years have been for you, and I hope the hardest part of your tough road is now behind you.

Even if you have to lose some plants during this time, you won't lose the skill and knowledge you have about growing plants beautifully. Here's hoping to much better days for you soon, and thank you again for posting.
    Sheri

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

cactusfreak 7

I loved all your pics. How do you get to see them all on the "one page" at Photobucket? When I go to my account there it's only like 12 pics per page and page after page of pics. Is there a setting there I missed?

• cactusfreak
    16 years ago

greenhouser, select view all on right hand side.

• greenhouser
    16 years ago

cactusfreak

I knew about that but didn't have to do that on "your site" so thought there was a special setting I didn't know about. Yours opened with all pics on one page.

• SCBonsai
    16 years ago

I use a thermostat similar to the one Tigerfern mentioned above. This will be my third or fourth winter using it. It's reliable and accurate to within a couple of degrees. In my experience, thermostats built into heaters do not work well for very long.

• squirrellypete
    16 years ago

Cactusfreak, I'm so sorry to hear about all of your back troubles. My husband who is 26 has been going through a similar ordeal when he was diagnosed with "Tethered Cord Syndrome" about 3 years ago and has subsequently been diagnosed with a little-known condition called Arachnoiditis. He underwent major spinal surgery at Johns Hopkins a little over a year ago. The more recent diagnosis of Arachnoiditis basically means no more surgeries from here on out because it came about as a result of too much surgery-caused trauma to the spinal tissue (he's had 4 in his lifetime). The arachnoid layer of his tissue around the spinal cord is now in a permanent state of inflamation and is starting to calcify and the meninges that make up the spinal cord are clumped abnormally together and tethered to scar tissue from the previous surgeries. Basically it's pain and nerve management from here on out to try to maintain a quality of life.

He is also on seizure meds to help with all of the nerves in his legs that have a tendency to go haywire whenever they want as well as pain meds for his back. He also has had to use muscle relaxers and sleep aids to get to sleep at night. I remember 1 week he maybe got 10 hours of sleep total...it was awful. He is sleeping better now though. It's hard to watch because he was sooo active just a few years ago and now he is pretty much confined to the house because of the pain involved in going outside or pretty much anywhere. He is not allowed to lift anything even remotely heavy and should not be bending over much either so I've taken over all of the household maintenance stuff. He can still stand and take short walks to maintain some muscle mass but it's very painful. People who see him when he's walking look at him and think he looks perfectly normal and he's just "faking it" or "how bad could a backache be?". They have NO idea about the nerve-based pain and the muscle spasms that radiate from his back all the way down to his toes that he and others like him have to experience 24/7. But we are thankful he can still walk compared to most others with his condition and he's going to continue to do so for as long as he is able.

Sorry everyone, I know this got a little off topic from the thread but just wanted to let Cactusfreak know there are others out there going through a similar experience even though sometimes it doesn't feel that way. If you ever want to talk you can e-mail me =)

Sincerely, Danielle

• ohiojay
    16 years ago

CF and Danielle, sorry for both of you. There's absolutely nothing funny about a hurting back. Listening to your two stories make me appreciate how minor my aching has been! Good luck all. CF, I've always enjoyed seeing pics of your GH. Very impressive as always. My favorite pic has always been the shot of your GH covered in snow. I know it must be killing you not to be able to tool around out there. Hang tough. J

• kyleitis
    15 years ago

Hey theres plenty of good programmable thermostats made by honeywell.
    you can really save your money by programing it so your HVAC system isnt being used so mu.ch when your not around. check it out people

Here is a link that might be useful: Honeywell Thermostat

• birdwidow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kyleitis,

I'd forgotten all about this thread until you brought it up again, but the thermostats we were discussing were the types that plug into a standard wall outlet, to control a single appliance; heater or fan, not permanently mounted thermostats used to to control central H/AC systems.

Unless Honeywell also makes plug-ins and I missed them when I explored the link you included in your post?

If so, please lead us directly to it. Most of the folk who read these posts are glad to learn of a new or different product that might be useful in their GH. I know I am.

I will always bless the day I came here and learned that bubble wrap and solar pool covers were an important factor in keeping my GH warmer in winter than I'd expected I could, while actually reducing the gas bill.

• timf7
    15 years ago

Great thread! Last year we bought an $80 temperature controller from a brewing equipment supply co. We hooked it up to a large chest freezer to turn it into a cooler for vegetables. In the winter we can, with a couple of clicks, reprogram for heating. Just plug unit into the socket, program temp range you want, plug your backup heater to come on if your main heater fails. Works great! Tim

Here is a link that might be useful: programmable hot/cold temperature controller

• okguzzirep_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

were trying to take a small ice box, and warm it up a bit. its for my ferrets to stay cool but 55 is as high as it gets. am looking for a thermostat that will help.. would greatly apppreiate some help..you can e-mail me if you wish..it needs make the fridge about 70..thanks sandy