Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

Name brand potting soil root rot warning

buyorsell888
14 years ago

Last spring and summer (2008) I used Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Soil for repotting and potting in my greenhouse. I didn't do it on purpose, just had it sitting around from potting up annual fuchsias and hanging baskets.

Over the winter I lost about half of my plants to root rot.

I even lost plants that like really moist soil such as Cannas. The greenhouse was heated to at least 55* too.

I had fungus gnats all summer and barely watered but wasn't smart enough to repot everything.

That soil might be great for outdoor hanging baskets of annuals but watch out if you use it in a greenhouse or for house plants!

Comments (9)

• topsiebeezelbub
    14 years ago

Yes, that stuff is very heavy ...a friend who has a garden center asks his customers what soil they used when they complain about a plant that died, and it is almost always M.G. He uses Promix blended with soil conditioner.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Always a lot of controversy about potting soils . Since I grow most of my potted plants outdoors I suppose it makes a lot of difference. Works great for me though I usually add pine bark fines or coconut chips for the palms.
    In the shadehouse I grow mostly epiphytes so no potting soil. Terrestrials are grown in the ground.
    Interesting about "Cannas" I grow most of them in standing water in a pond.
    I would imagine your much cooler temps make a lot of difference. gary

• rain2fall
    14 years ago

Moisture Control soil? Does that have water-retaining granules in it? For my hanging plants, I add a few granules to my potting mix and it works pretty good.

Thanks for the warning on not using it for starts or overwintering.

Rain2Fall

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I normally use Black Gold which is a local product but I wanted to try the MG MC for fuchsias in hanging planters since they dry out easily in our brief summers. I lost two out of three fuchsias that I put in the greenhouse for winter.....rotted right off and so did my Gardenia radicans and Canna 'Stuttgart' and multiple others.....

I don't know if it has moisture gel in it or cocoa fibre or both.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Wouldn't it be wonderful if a list of ingredients was required right on the package?? Then you'd be able to make informed choices . Oh wait then you might buy another product.or worse make your own .lol
    gary

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

I HATE the fact that they add stuff to all their mixes. They have so many different mixes now it's ridiculous. I don't even bother buying anything but their potting soil and I even add a generous amount of perlite (NOT theirs!) to it. They even add fertilizer to their PERLITE which is ridiculous too.

They saturate the market with a LOT of stuff you just do not need IMHO.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    Wild guess but I'll bet they're making what sells. The local box stores here carry almost nothing else. according to a clerk it sells 10 to one over other brands.
    Only thing you can do is experiment with what works for you. Some interesting formula on the "Container " forum. Generally I use 5 parts pine bark fines 2 canadian peat 1 perlite throw in some builders sand for succulents. Again all mu pots are outdoors not in a GH gary

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Most people don't have greenhouses so it is probably fine for them.

• milwdave
    14 years ago

The moisture control is great for the summer outdoors but really is too heavy for a greenhouse. I've used the standard MG potting mix and it works fine in the greenhouse, Promix also. But MGMC is reserved for the outdoors.

Dave
    Milwaukee