Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inflation blower problems?

Posted by alyss6 Maine (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 14:49

We just put together an 18x20 gothic shaped greenhouse with polycarbonate end walls and two layers of plastic over the top and sides (attached with wiggle wire/wire lock). The air between the two layers is supposed to be inflated with an inflation blower, however it doesn't seem to be inflating properly. Especially the peak of the greenhouse and closer to the hip-boards seem barely inflated at all. Is it possible the plastic is stretched too tight? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inflation blower problems?

The peak on mine is the most inflated area, up to 18 inches. This is on a large house, 32 by 54. Stretching the PVC tighter on the second covering didn't flatten the peak much. Along the sides the inner layer bulges in but the outer layer is almost flat against the bows. Mine ranges mostly from 6-18 inches air gap. I couldn't change that much at least not tighter.

The most surprising aspect of your situation is that the peak isn't inflated. That could be from begin too tight but may just be the geometry of your structure.

I made mine tighter the 2nd application and feel that wasn't best. It seemed to result in small holes developing at the points where the PVC was most stressed. This was enough to deflate the covering and I had to patch the holes. If you think yours might be too tight I'd loosen it a little and see how it looks.

Also don't over inflate. At least that's the official recommendation. Just enough inflation to keep things from flapping in high winds.

o

my blower has a round cover over the fan box , it can be opened for more air or closed for less air.

Or the blower is not adequate for your size GH.

Mike

o

For double poly greenhouse roofs, optimal air inflation pressure is 0.25 inches of water column pressure during hot weather, and 0.45 inches during cold and/or windy weather. A simple homemade water manometer can be built to check the pressure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here