Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengyrl

Solexx gh glazing

gardengyrl
18 years ago

Anybody heard of it? Does anyone have any experience with it? It is described as being a bendable, twin walled gh glaizng. It comes in rolls or panels and can be cut with a utility knife. I would love to get opinions from you all. You can take a look at it (sorry I don't know how to post a web sight address) at, farmwholesaleag.com.

thanks,

an oldtimer checking back in.

Comments (15)

• weebus
    18 years ago

I have some pictures comparing regular twin wall polycarbonate with the Solexx. Solexx is made from Polyethylene rather than polycarbonate. This way you can decide for yourself...

The two side by side
    {{gwi:307198}}

Another side by side...
    {{gwi:307200}}

Solexx
    {{gwi:307202}}

8mm Twin wall Polycarbonate

{{gwi:307204}}

Another angle of Solexx...
    {{gwi:307206}}

• chris_in_iowa
    18 years ago

Ummmm by looking at those pictures I sense a bias towards the 8mm twin wall polycarbonate.

Didn't see any pics of either bending at a large radius curve.

Didn't see any cost comparisons as to price per sq ft.

Must have missed the relative R values of each material.

I really detest the milky whiteish look of the corrugated roll stuff and the clear but striped look of polycarbonate twin wall drives me nuts.

My Ideal, (in order of decreasing cost) if I had the money, would be twinwall polycarbonate on the roof and end walls and lexan on the south side wall.

Next choice would be corrugated stuff on the roof, polycarbonate on end walls lexan on front wall.

You get the idea.....

What I am currently installing is a double layer of Tuflite IV on the roof and end walls and a double layer of Vinyl on the south wall.

If you are going to spend a lot of time in your greenhouse then you need a panel of lexan or something really clear like glass or vinyl. Trust me on this.

• weebus
    18 years ago

No bias.
    Pictures don't lie.
    As far as price comparisons, you can't compare apples to oranges.

I was simply showing the difference in the two. It is up to others to make their own minds up. You seem to have taken a disliking to my pictures for some reason...

Never use fiberglass on a Gh, it yellows. If you must, use twin wall for the roof and corrugated polycarbonate for the walls.

Want to know a secret? Lexan IS polycarbonate.

Trust me on this

• chris_in_iowa
    18 years ago

As I pointed out, your pictures did not show the products installed. And as for apples and oranges I must disagree, we are talking COVERING for a greenhouse. Some coverings last longer, some cost more but save on heating etc... Unless money is not a factor then you have to look into the cost/benefit of the covering you choose.

You posted a pic of a sharp angled bend on Solexx, but not one on the PC?

Also you seemed to post a comparison of the crush resistance of Solexx against the polycarbonate. Why?

As to the fact that lexan is polycarbonate, yes I know, and it looks just like glass, and it has about the same R value as glass, and it does not distort vision, and it allows the person in the greenhouse to see the rest of the world clearly!

This current trend of advocating the really expensive stuff is once again detrimental to encouraging people to try to build their own greenhouse.

$1100 for a 24 by 14 is possible, if you take the time, and do a lot of work.

• chris_in_iowa
    18 years ago

""Never use fiberglass on a Gh, it yellows. If you must, use twin wall for the roof and corrugated polycarbonate for the walls.""

who mentioned Fiberglass?

• weebus
    18 years ago

I thought about this after I posted last night.

First of all, What personal interest do you have that you feel you need to attack my post?

Second, I posted pictures. I never claimed to be a journalist doing a news report on GH glazing.

This current trend of advocating the really expensive stuff is once again detrimental to encouraging people to try to build their own greenhouse. Sounds as though YOU have the bias. I simply posted pictures. Thought I was helping out the forum.

I didn't show the Polycarbonate with a bend in it, because you CAN'T bend it. Sorry, but I tried.

Go attack someone else. Let's get back ot the original Thread. If you have a problem with the facts, post differentiating facts of your own. Attack the product, not me. That is since you feel the need to be so aggressive.

You're right I didn't see fiberglass the second time I read it, sorry, must have seen something that wasn't there.

• trigger_m
    18 years ago

i don't know about the solexx,but i have 8mm 2x polycarb.and i love it,sure it's not as clear as glass,but it lets in lots of light,and it is extremely efficient.my 14' x 20' only used 160 gallons of propane all last fall,winter and spring.it lets in so much light,the vent fan kicks on about every 10 minutes all day long-in january and feb,easily maintaining 85f. my plants love it.again,solexx may be better,but i sure am satisfied with polycarb.

• weebus
    18 years ago

Believe me, your Polycarbonate is far superior to Solexx.

• chris_in_iowa
    18 years ago

Getting back to the thread.

gardengyrl, what type of greenhouse are you wanting to cover or, are you thinking of building a new one? The style dictates the type of coverings you have available to you.

To illustrate my point Twin Wall Polycarbonate is useless for a hoop house except for the end walls, because as we have been told, you can't bend it.

I personally have a wood framed structure and that style allows me to use any or all of the covering options. What I cover each wall and roof section with depends on the money I have, and the R value and light loss I am prepared to compromise with.

The 76% light transmission of Solexx may be another advantage to you as it may eliminate the need for shade cloth and/or big fans in the height of summer.

Your structure dictates the "best"covering.

What is it?

• weebus
    18 years ago

Large sheets of PC DO bend, just tiny samples do not. This is what my GH looks like and you can see they bend. Also sheds snow.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardengyrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thought I posted a response the other day but I don't see it. I want to thank Weebus for the photos, they were very descriptive. Mostly I was just curious about this new stuff as it caught my attention because of its fexibility. I have 30x75 foot gothic arch style gh and am always looking for ways to simplify and increase productivity. I don't know if an 8 year warranty makes the cost worth it since I can get at least 3 years from the poly I currantly use and it is realtively inexpensive.

• tim_group
    18 years ago

to Chris in Iowa:

Lexan is a brand name. It is not a form of polycarbonate that is flat and clear like glass. That would simply by single layer polycarbonate which is flat. GE just gave the polycarbonate they produce a brand name, Lexan. The actual name of the material, polycarbonate, is the same no matter who manufactures it.

• chris_in_iowa
    18 years ago

Yep I know what Lexan is, and if you go to the hardware store and ask for it they know what you mean.

Last time I looked a 4x8 sheet of quarter inch thick was $69.

Ideal hail proof window stuff for a greenhouse.

• plantladyco
    18 years ago

I owned a GH from Farm Wholesale before I moved.
    It certainly didn't work as well as my current GH (with polycarb)
    But it was a great little starter GH.
    I grew about 8-9 mo of the year in it (crop appropriate)
    It was hail resistent and light transmission was fine.
    I only moved a few blocks from it to my new house and it still stands and looks fine.
    That would make it about 10 years old.

• Casa_Del_Gatos
    18 years ago

I too am curious about a comparison of the cost per sq. ft. for the 2 materials. I see the Solexx has an 8-year warranty as opposed to 10 years for most of the PC I have seen.

I certainly like the flexibility of the Solexx for wrapping around and over, but I am surprised they don't list the R value of it on their website.