Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladylotus_gw

Parrot in Greenhouse

ladylotus
9 years ago

I remember reading that one of our members had birds (a cockatoo and I believe other parrots) in his/her greenhouse. I sure hope that the individual is still reading this forum.

I have someone that needs to get rid of their bird and they suggested my greenhouse. I would like to know what the downfalls would be and if my plants would get wrecked.

Do you keep their cage in the greenhouse but let them have free run of the entire place?

If anyone has any experience please elaborate and provide any advice for me. I'm a little leery of this possible adventure. I have a lot of plants in my greenhouse as well as a pond for my koi. Hopefully, the bird will not drowned.

Thank you.

Comments (6)

• dbrya1
    9 years ago

Yes,I do,but have separate room for parrots,that is in the greenhouse,I do let my birds in the greenhouse but monitor there every move,because they chew on everything,and some plants leaves are poisonous.You have to keep it as warm as 55* in the winter time,as parrots can't live and be healthy below that temps,for very long.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I might try putting a cage and this little cockatiel in my greenhouse. However, I don't really want to keep him caged and once he gets comfortable with his surroundings I would like to see him fly around free in my greenhouse.

I have one HUGE fear. I have a large 24' by 6' by 6' pond with koi in my greenhouse and I am very fearful that he will get some kind of night fright and drown. Do you think I am being realistic with this fear?

Any good suggestions on how to make this work for the bird and allow him to fly free within the gh but have his cage for sleeping at night and eating?

• dbrya1
    9 years ago

.Most birds roost at night and not fly,more worried if you have plants that are poisonous that he might eat.

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will investigate what plants are poisonous to birds. Thank you for the information. I am still on the fence as I don't want a bird shredding any of my plants.

Thank you.

• myfrozenlittlepond
    9 years ago

Cockatiels are small birds, and generally don't do the destructive damage that a larger parrot might. That said, poisonous plants could still be a danger. Other dangers include small critters sneaking into the greenhouse who might prey on the bird like weasels, cats, etc. A flighted bird may fly right out the door as someone enters/leaves, so a secure entry would be important. If room allows and your temps are warm enough for the bird to live out there full time, the bird's cage could be there for security at night or when you can;t supervise, and it could fly loose when you can supervise. Watch out for fans, especially ceiling fans, wires carrying live electricity, and small pelleted fertilizers or similar pellet sized things that this bird might mistake as food and try to eat. Also be careful if you do any spraying of your plants or GH with chemicals - they could be deadly for the bird. If your GH reaches high temps for long periods of time that could be as hard on it as the low temps. All in all, not a bad idea, just need to take some precautions. And then there;s the noise; again, not like a parrot but can be annoying if you aren't used to it. As for the pond, you should place some ladder-type structures in the water that could act as a life-line if the bird landed in the water and needed an escape route out of the water. Hope that helps!

• ladylotus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Myfrozenlittlepond,

That was great information. If I did get him, I would put a cage in there for him. I think you have some great ideas. I might tell her I will try it on a trial basis and see how it goes before I commit.

Thank you for all the information you provided.