Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small green lizards?

Posted by kngskid Georgia zone 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 19, 11 at 22:01

There's a small green lizard inside my greenhouse and I am terribly afraid it. They've been around the yard for years but I only encounter them in passing, now it's in a closed in space with me and I'm afraid it will jump on me or bite me when I reach to pick something off one of the trees or pickup a tool. Should I be afraid? Will it bite?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small green lizards?

Without seeing it, and not knowing where you are in GA, can't be sure. But it's probably a harmless Gecko. We have zillions of them in central AL. They devour many kinds of insects. I've seen kids (and a few adults) catch one, hold it next to an ear lobe or under their nose, and let it hook on.

Here's our most frequent type, in his brown uniform:

Here is a link that might be useful: Gecko

o

• Posted by kngskid Georgia zone 7b (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 22, 11 at 14:54

Thanks billala, that may be the same lizard. Up to this point it has been a bright green color but when I opened up this morning he was sitting on one of the fig trees and I watched him turn brown. So he does bite but won't cause any harm. That's good, but don't know how much that helps.

Thanks again.

o

kngskid
What you have in your greenhouse is an anole. He or she won't jump on you. They are more afraid of you. Great to have in the greenhouse to control some insects. Enjoy their company. Dan

o

• Posted by kngskid Georgia zone 7b (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 23, 11 at 20:13

Thanks Dan, I google-ed anole and that's my lizard.

o

They will bite but it doesn't hurt they have teeth like sandpaper.

o

They are called anoles and will change colors with their surroundings or moods. My kids catch them all the time. They also enjoy catching the geckos and post lizards. All harmless and great to have in a greenhouse to catch those unwanted insect pests.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here