Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joliverpaul_gw

Natural light

joliverpaul
14 years ago

I just purchased a 3'X3'X6' greenhouse for indoors. It is made of what appears to be simple plastic sheating. I set it up in a tall window that faces south and gets sun most of the day. It is winter so thats about 8-10 hours a day. Does anyone know if this will be sufficiant to grow lettuce, radishes, and other winter crops? I keep my house cold (around 60). I am trying to avoid paying for and maintaning an electical bill for artificial lighting. Any advice would be much appreciated as i am a complete amature at this greenhouse thing.

Comments (9)

• ontheteam
    14 years ago

I know that;'s not enough light . you will get leggy weak seedlings( they will stretch to try and reach the sun making them unable to support themselves upright)

The growing under lights forum( link at top of this forum page i think) is a great place to find out what kind of light you will need for this set up.
    You could use it outdoors in March/April depending on where you are to jump start seedlings like a cold frame

• wordwiz
    14 years ago

I disagree with ontheteam, at least about lettuce. I grew Black Simpson last winter in a south window without any problem, but it was in the window, not sitting back three feet. It was some of the tastiest and largest lettuce I have ever raised. The stalks were three feet tall and did not bolt. Even as I type, I have lettuce in my GH that is doing fantastic, and we have had more cloudy than sunny days in the last month.

There is a guideline that GH growers use called Daily Light Interval (I think that is the name). Basically, different types of plants need X amount of light, measured in foot candles per day, to survive, grow or prosper.

Also, several studies claim that low light levels, in and of themselves will not cause stem elongation (leggy plants). Rather, it is a combination of lighting, heat and water. Lower light, lower temps and lower moisture levels will not lead to leggy plants, whereas low light, high temps and significant moisture will.

Mike

• joliverpaul
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm going to set it up this week and try for all natural light. I'll keep you updated!
    Much appreciative,
    Jeremy

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

I fall somewhere in between. I have Buttercrunch Lettuce,Swiss Chard in south window. I run a 27w CFB and an 8 inch fan on a timer from 2pm-12am. That's about .25 $ a week I do turn the plants 90 degrees daily. I think the fan helps Keep the plants from getting leggy.I am looking for a smaller osculating one may be a 6 inch.Buttercrunch grows fast the chard is slow,both are tasty.I also have a kitchen garden under t8s

Curt :)

• joliverpaul
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Curt, .25 $ as in twenty five dollars a week?
    thanks again for the help ya'll!
    -jeremy

• ontheteam
    14 years ago

I think he means 25 cents...at least I HOPE so ! LOL.. The fan may help keep them from "bolting"..trying to set seed B4 it dies.. typically makes bitter greens... IDk how it would help with keeping the seedlings from being leggy,

• joliverpaul
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all your help! I'm getting things up and running with my soil purchase today. Seeds should be here tomorrow! I've started a blog to document my progress. I'd love it if y'all would check it out! Maybe some more advice will be needed, haha. Anyways here is the link www.JOliverPaul.wordpress.com. Thanks again!

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

My bad as in 25 cents a week. ha ha I changed it now moved it into kitchen I am now at 1 dollar 75 cents a week LoL.

Curt :-)

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

Gee guys I did not know that a fan would make bitter greens. you know what I still don't know, they sure taste good to me and oh ya how come I haven't lost any yet from bolting B4 it dies. DO you guys grow or do you just crow. Sorry but your manners are lacking.

Curt :-)