Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hudson___wy

GH Closed for the Year

hudson___wy
10 years ago

Our unheated GH officially closed up for the winter today - freezing temperatures finally got to our last remaining tomato plant last night - a Cherokee Purple - but not before we took off the remaining tomatoes (10 of them) that will extend the season at least a couple of more weeks!

A great end to a great GH season!!

{{gwi:307791}}

Comments (7)

• cole_robbie
    10 years ago

I for one enjoy the vacation. My greenhouse looks abandoned right now.

If you picked your green tomatoes, they are great when sliced thin and deep-fried in "Don's Chuck Wagon Onion Ring Batter." That's my favorite fried green tomato recipe.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the Onion Ring Batter info - I have not tried deep-fried green tomatoes - but would like to now that I have a batter recommendation! It will have to wait until next year though - I tossed the green tomatoes and only kept the ones that showed signs of ripening.

• squirrellypete
    10 years ago

Hi Hudson! I was attempting to find your post involving your greenhouse setup when growing Better Boys, I believe it was from last year or the year before, but it looks like it's gone. I don't suppose you have that post or the info/pictures saved somewhere that you could possibly repost?? The pictures alone are worth a thousand words. I should have saved the description for reference when I had the chance.

I still remember the basic gist and I've seen some of your recent greenhouse pics. But if you still have it I know I for one would love to see all that and read your info again, probably some newbies and veterans that wouldn't mind either. I'm going to be attempting something similar this year in my own greenhouse. Just can't figure out how to get a 16 foot cattle panel home in my 6 ft bed truck lol. Might have no other choice but to cut it in half even though I'd rather not.

Sincerely, Danielle

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Danielle - haha - yes, hauling 16' panels can be challenging ! I don't suppose they can deliver them for you or maybe borrow a neighbor's trailer? I know it can be a hassle. Bolt cutters work well to cut the panels and once they are installed - they will last as long as your GH so you only have to do this once!

Here is a photo of what I think you are after. Please let me know if they don't show what you are looking for. I wired the panels to the galvanized pipe that hangs from the GH rafters with stout chain. I spaced the cattle panels about 16" from the GH roof panels to allow plenty of room for the tomato plants to grow in-between. Good luck with your setup - it has worked well for us !

{{gwi:307793}}

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

I was wondering how things were proceeding down there in Wyoming. I am dragging my heels on shutting down the greenhouse this fall, but it's time to let go of the last of the tomatoes and cukes. I've been running minimal heat on cold nights just to buy a bit more time.

I just seeded the last lettuce box for the year, and retired one that was bolting. I have two lettuce boxes that are just coming on so we'll be set for lettuce for the next little while.

For those late season tomatoes, I harvest all the green ones and let them turn red indoors. They are low on flavor but I roast them to concentrate whatever flavor they have. Then I turn that into sauce. It's very good considering all the tomatoes were rock hard at harvest time. I haven't done that final harvest yet but I will get that done soon, then pull out all the vines and turn off the heat. It always feels kinda good to do that. If nothing else, the greenhouse always feels very spacious with all the huge plants removed!

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karin - you have much more energy than I do at this time in the season! I would love to try your sauce - which I am sure would motivate me to take advantage of those last green tomatoes! You are able to grow lettuce longer than we can too.

I do not have any experimental projects over the winter this year either - I am taking a break on the heated grow box within the GH, growing carrots over the winter was a failure last year and I didn't even cut any Geranium starts this fall !?? I had too many other outside projects I wanted to complete this year that took my attention away from the GH I guess. I still have to clean things up and prepare the soil for next season in the GH too - I need to add a bunch of vermiculite and compost to the beds - and - I plan to fumigate the GH with sulfur (still doing the research).

I also need to dig up soil - frame 2X4 redwood for cement - and pour our GH floor next spring. I still plan to install a heater but need the cement floor first. I didn't get that done this year like I had planned - never enough time or money - always things to do.

I am excited for this next season - we discovered some awesome tomato heirlooms this year that has changed my view on what we want to grow in our GH.

Thanks for sharing what you are doing with your GH and garden - photos etc. You have helped us a lot by trying to duplicate your success and giving us great ideas to utilize our GH !

• squirrellypete
    10 years ago

Thanks for reposting your pics Hudson. Those were the ones, and that refreshed my memory of how to go about it. Much appreciated.

Danielle

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions