Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwrace

Our new Riga Greenhouse

David Shawver
12 years ago

We are located in south central Texas and I've been promising my wife a greenhouse for many years. We finally decided on a Riga V. We wanted to make this a family project and tried to include the kids and dogs. This is still very much a work in progress with many of the final touches still to be completed. Our kids enjoyed taking these photos of the day to day progress. It will have electric and water service when completed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Riga V Greenhouse Pictures

Comments (7)

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Looks like everyone was involved including the dogs LOL.
    Tell me about your experience with putting it together. Was it easy or hard? Did you have to make any modifications and how long did it take to put it all together?
    Did you anchor it into the ground or just used the base frame they provided?

Julia

• JoeinWA
    12 years ago

Hey! Looks great!

When I put mine together I ended up with some extra weather stripping that I never figured out. Did you find homes for all of yours??

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Good job! I'm curious why you chose the Riga over other models with similar prices?

Dave

• David Shawver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks all for the replies. I'll try to answer the questions.

Julia

The greenhouse was not difficult to put together. We did have a bit of frustration with the documentation and assembly video. The greenhouse was built in Germany and the assembly guide was in German. The only US distributor is located just down the road from us in Austin, TX and he provided the video and English assembly guide. The English assembly guide was written in 2005, the video in 2007 and the German guide in 2009. The manufacturer had gone through a few product changes and revisions which made it somewhat difficult to determine if we had a missing or changed part.
    Support from the distributor was awesome. We had a couple of missing parts and both were shipped the same day for overnight service. Questions were addressed promptly. Of course now that we have completed the assembly we could easily do it in half the time. The digging and foundation prep work took a good two days to complete. With so little rain here in Texas that ground was very hard. I kept breaking shear pins on the tiller. The greenhouse took about 8 hours to stand up the complete building not counting the shelves. We completed the electrical install this weekend but still have the plumbing and landscaping to complete.
    We just used the optional base frame we purchased. It's very sturdy and that greenhouse isn't going anywhere unless we get hit by a tornado. We've already seen 55-60mph wind gusts with no ill effects.

JoeinWA

You might have been shipped extra weather stripping. I know we had some left over. The large pieces go all around the lower section. There are different sizes for the 8mm and 10mm polycarbonate in the front and sides. Several pieces also go along the roof support beam on both sides.

Dave

When it came right down to it we chose the Riga for several reasons. First the size met our needs. I liked the construction materials and warranty. All aluminum frame, 8 and 10mm poly carbonate panels, aluminum channel type construction. All the panels fit in grooves in the aluminum frame making it next to impossible for them to blow out. All stainless steel hardware was included. And last but not least so many positive reviews indicating how good the after sale support was. It was top notch all the way.

• karin_mt
    12 years ago

Awesome work! Gwrace and I enjoyed lots of emails back and forth as he built the greenhouse and I liked the frequent updates on the progress. We joked about the need to understand German to work through the instructions. :)

It's great that it worked out so well, and I love the photos where the dogs and kids are all helping out.

Now onward to the final touches and, of course, the growing of tasty plants!

• Julia WV (6b)
    12 years ago

Joe: Did you buy your Riga directly from Exaco or are they just a distributor for other companies? I did check out the website when someone else mentioned it but didn't see them listing any pricing lists.

Good to know it can withstand the winds as that would be a factor here too. I don't speak German so having directions in English would be more helpful.lol.

Thanks for the feedback.

Julia

• David Shawver
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karin

It was a lot of fun going back and forth and I can't thank you enough for the information and guidance you provided. The pictures and tips made our construction job so much easier.

I have a lot of work planned for this weekend to try and finish up the final plumbing and landscaping work.