Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laserfan

10x12 HFGH Lessons Learned

laserfan
17 years ago

I'm almost done with our 10X12 HFGH and am very, VERY pleased with how it's come together, and the quality of the components. Having built (and cursed) an Arrow metal building in the past, this kit has been almost a piece-of-cake by comparison. I have had problems for sure, but nothing in the way of missing parts, parts that don't fit, or parts that have broken or stripped or... well I'd say the manufacturing of this thing is excellent. Most of my problems have been with the instructions, but here are some major points to look out for:

1. The base is flimsy by itself--I really like my method for using 4x4 landscape timbers to secure it.

2. The manual says Corner Posts install with two holes on the bottom. NO, the two holes are on TOP! Arrgh!

3. Corner posts should be steadied right away with diagonal braces, not at the end as in the instructions.

4. Using the #30 braces top-back doesn't work very well. I found a nice piece of 12' aluminum in HD's flashing area to trim and use instead.

5. The IMPORTANT POINTS about inserting extra bolts in the channels are always wrong--apparently the square tubing used for bracing is new vs. the originally-shipped parts. Be prepared to go-back and add bolts where you missed them the first time!

6. I can't imagine building the roof on the ground and getting it up there without bending the heck out of things. It was VERY easy to put the 8,9 diagonals up first, and then the Crown/ridge, and add the other diagonals one-at-a-time.

If it's calm today I will hang the doors and install the panels--maybe more to come but again I'm very pleased. This thing is much sturdier than I'd have guessed given all the hand-wringing about it here. Thanks to oraylawson, gardnerwantabe, muttchaser & others for leading the way.

I'll update pics and add details as I get time...

Here is a link that might be useful: Laserfan's 10X12 HFGH

Comments (20)

• oraylawson
    17 years ago

laserfan,

Good Job!

I know that you had doubts about the kit before your purchase. Glad to see you were pleasantly surprised.

Hope you enjoy the finished greenhouse.

Ray

• laserfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Ray--it's been breezy here all week so I had to wait until dusk Wed. to put the panels in; couldn't stand waiting anymore! Doing it in the dark was a challenge though & I had to make some corrections the next day for poorly placed clips and improperly seated panels. I wonder how many folks with blowouts just didn't get the clips-in right. In some cases too I had to raise the panels to get them over all ridges properly, and under the windows I decided to trim the panels rather than let them hang over the gutter. My fingernails are still sore from messing with those clips!

I looked at your photos again today and realized my back wall (south-facing) is braced but not with angle pieces so may still flex. Gotta fix that somehow. Wondering too if thinwall emt conduit will support hanging plants, or if I should get heavy conduit or even galvanized pipe--gonna put two cross-pieces on mine...

Some things I noticed too have changed (improvements?) from your kit:

- Lots more clips than in the instructions (I used them all!), and even an "Extra hardware" bag with more of everything
    - Square tubing with plastic end-inserts instead of plain angle pieces for the diagonals
    - My doors work fine--maybe the upper track was improved for newer kits?
    - The door panel installation is different--in the newer kit the 3 lateral pieces are made so the panels lift-in and are held in grooves.

Nothing in the instructions about the new door design--I found it easiest to just start with the top piece IN THE TRACK and then add the sides, bottom, lateral braces, and finally panels right there rather than on-the-ground.

Still gotta do some sort of platform to try to protect the threshold from getting stepped-on/tripped-over & bent, extenders so the vents can be operated from below, along with something to lock them-down, as well as handles and lock for the doors (to keep them from blowing-open--they operate that smoothly!).

So impressed I want to congratulate HF for bringing a GH to the masses! I'm sure my letter would not be well-received in their Tech Support dept. though!!! ;) My favorite toy as a kid was an Erector Set--I've felt like an 8-year-old again.

Want to build another right away for fun--how about one as an aviary? Screen it instead and put the polycarbonate panels away as spares? Or a few strategically located for birdski shelter? Hmmmm... where to place such a thing.

What a deal.

Tom

• oraylawson
    17 years ago

Tom,

If you look at my photos again you will see that I have attached a short length of stainless steel cable (Fishing Leader) from the ridge beam to the center of the emt brace which runs between the side walls. I then placed 3/4" emt on top of the aluminum angle braces at each end wall resting on top of the side wall brace. This was used to hang my lights. The 3/4" emt, if supportrd in a similar fashion, would be strong enough for hanging plants.

Glad to see that they have improved the kit and included extras. It appears that the manufacturer may be listening to their customers. This is something that american businesses need to learn to do .

As you stated in an earlier post, my opinions are perhaps biased in favor of the kit, but It is only after completion of the greenhouse that you realize how well it is made and what a bargain it is. I still believe that some additional bracing is required. But these are simple fixes for anyone wanting to build one.

Ray

• laserfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I hadn't noticed the wire, nor the 3/4" add-ons at the end of your pics. Looks like 3/4" EMT is the way to go--I'll add to my photobucket when I'm done. Also gotta find a propane heater Real Soon Now...

I'm sure it's Harbor Freight beating-up on their Chinese supplier for the fixes/enhancements; they are to be commended for it. In any case I'd been REAL CLOSE to buying a MiniPro greenhouse; a nice unit but which IIRC was only 8x10 and had clear PC panels, for nearly $2K. I like the HFGH panels better, it's extremely flexible and re-configurable, and I've saved almost a grand over that smaller GH.

Yeah the fixes are simple to make, and the construction's not at all difficult once you get "into it" and rely less on the step-by-step; I completely agree that this thing's a real bargain and want to thank you again Ray for giving me the nudge I needed to get it!

• laserfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok we had our first "big blow" last week and I've since made some more improvements:
    1. Replaced my cross-brace with 3/4" EMT conduit and added another, so I have two, at the 2nd and 4th stud-wall positions.
    2. These braces had to be snugged to pull-in the sidewalls so that the Ridge/Crown was straight. Otherwise the walls bow-out, the ridge sags, and the Vents get out-of-square.
    3. Taped panels at the gutter and a few other spots, and screwed panels to horizontal braces using 1/2" Lath screws, to prevent panel blow-out. Repositioned spring clips.

The only additional structural improvement I'm planning at present is to interlock the shelving system with the walls and the base timbers. Still have more taping & caulking to do, but here are updated pics, including some new Details for anyone who is fixin' to build one of these:

Here is a link that might be useful: My 10x12 HFGH

• mollyd
    17 years ago

Laserfan,

How do you like that heater you put in there so far?

MollyD

• laserfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi MollyD, I'm looking-out my window as I type this hoping the UPS truck arrives with my hose & regulator for the heater! Not hooked-up yet; maybe tomorrow...

• mollyd
    17 years ago

Oh I see. This heater lets you use a hose to connect to the propane tank? That's easier to install than the ones that want the pipe connection.
    I look forward to hearing how it runs for you. I'm currently using a Mr. Heater Big Buddy along with a 1500 watt electric heater. Next spring I'm planning on taking down my hoophouse (17'L x 8'W) and replacing it with a polycarb 10'W x 12'L. While my current heat is working I'm hoping to find a more efficient(and less expensive) way to do the job. It's 9 outside right now and 50 in the GH tonight. I expect that by morning it will drop to 45 but then I only have the propane heater on low right now.

MollyD

• laserfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

>Posted by mollyd 4b (My Page) on Thu, Dec 7, 06 at 22:35

>This heater lets you use a hose to connect to the propane tank? That's easier to install than the ones that want the pipe connection.

Molly you can use a hose with any heater, it's just a matter of making the right connections. Of course, a local building inspector may not like it, and we did one winter have a squirrel chew through our RV's rubber propane hose, but there's no danger in our GH situation else I might use copper tubing instead.

The UPS truck DID arrive last night, so I installed the tank today and added a couple of pics to Photobucket.

This heater seems very nice; time will tell. You DO know MollyD that you can buy a hose for your Big Buddy that will connect it to a larger propane tank? (I'm assuming you have the portable type that normally uses that little bottle)

Here is a link that might be useful: Our 10x12 HFGH Details

• mollyd
    17 years ago

Hi laserfan,

Yes we have the longer hoses on the Big Buddy and the regular Buddies in the house. I did notice on the Mr. Heater web site that they advized these not be used when going through a wall. Instead for that they recommended the regular tubing with a regulator. That's why I was surprised when you mentioned using a hose on yours. I guess we all modify things in ways that work for us so no critizism from me on doing this!
    I do like the look of your heater and the price. I'd be interested in learning how it performs for you. I'm assuming you'll be on propane? If so I'd like to hear how much it burns in a week. What zone are you in btw?

Thanks!
    MollyD

• laserfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes you wouldn't want to use a hose thru a wall in your house!!!

I'm in Zone 8 and it's not fixin' to freeze any more this week--indeed last year we only got 3 days of hard freezing--so you prolly won't learn much from me about usage.

The best price I could find on this heater, shipping was only $15, was from

http://www.gas-space-heater.com/empire-vent-free-heater.html

Mine is the HR10TL where 'T' stands for Thermostat and 'L' means Liquid Propane.

• laserfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've built a shelving system along the back wall which makes it extraordinarily strong--it doesn't bow-in at all anymore where it previously moved 1/2 to an inch in a typical South wind. I used 3/4" galvanized pipe for the vertical supports, and 3/4" EMT conduit for the horizontal supports, which for the front-edge of the shelves pass-thru the galvanized cross- and tee-fittings, whose threads had to be ground-down just a little so the conduit would slide-thru. I'm real happy with the way it came together--the trickiest part was getting the installation "staged" properly:
    1. Grind-out threads in the fittings for the side-to-side conduits
    2. Make the two vertical posts (floor flange, 36" pipe, cross, 18" pipe, cross, 18" pipe, tee)
    3. Flatten one side of three 10' conduits, thread these thru fittings and posts
    4. Flatten other side of 3 conduits, drill holes, put assy into place, secure sides and floor flanges
    5. Weld "L" brackets into one end of short (22 1/2") conduits (twelve of these)
    6. Screw short conduits into each fitting and rotate into place
    7. Cut cattle panel (2"X4" mesh) and wrangle into place from the side (having taken a side panel out temporarily)

Look for "Details" in my photo link below.

I think I'm done now with structural issues of the HFGH. Still have to build a potting bench, and we've been shocked to learn how hot the thing gets (over 100 degrees inside in 75deg sun out). So we have to do an exhaust fan/louver intake plus prolly some shade cloth. But the GH seems strong enough now that we shouldn't have to worry about it blowing-down, though the roof vents seem to twist a lot when open and it's windy--may have to make some further mods there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our 10X12 HFGH with Details

• mollyd
    17 years ago

Lazerfan,

How does it do for leaks? I've wondered about any roof leaks with so many individual panels. Please post when and if you solve the problem with the roof vents.
    I'm seriously toying with the idea of going with a HFGH even if I have to re-build the frame. I really like the shape and panels but I live in a very windy spot and problems like the ones you and others have mentioned regarding wind have made me shy off.
    How hard was it to work with the conduit in making your shelves? I've never worked with that material before.

Thanks!
    MollyD

• greginshasta
    17 years ago

Just to chip in a couple thoughts. We get a lot of wind here, as well as rain/snow. Early this year we heard here in the forum from someone whose HFGH had blown apart from wind, and I was determined not to allow weather to wreck my unit - at least not without a struggle.

I purchased some 1" #6 hex head stainless screws, and the aluminum washers one uses with rivets. I used those screws to secure the panels - at the top and bottom, and into any horizontal brace that happened to be available (like the #30). The panels are unlikely to go anywhere! I just hope I don't have to take them off. That would be some effort.

Also, with regard to leaking, we have already had snow a couple times, and hardly a drop of water has come into the interior.

We built ours on a 2x12 pressure-treated base, and bolted it down with lag bolts. I'm certain this will withstand the winter, based on what I've seen so far.

Cheers

• mollyd
    17 years ago

That's good to know Greginshasta.
    I'd love to hear from folks who's HFGH has carried a snow load of 18" or so. How it came through. I know that some say rake the snow off and I can certainly do that once the storm stops but we'll often get that much overnight and on at least one occassion we got that in just under two hours so raking isn't something that can be done promptly. I worry about how the HFGH will deal with a heavy snowload like that.

I like the idea of the screws btw.

MollyD

• laserfan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

>Posted by mollyd 4b (My Page) on Sun, Dec 17, 06 at 21:51

>How hard was it to work with the conduit

The conduit is simple to deal with esp. if you have/use a tubing cutter on them. Probably the hardest part was flattening the ends Accurately i.e. so they precisely spanned the width of the GH (in my case about 116 1/4"). Also, welding-in the 1" L-brackets was tricky (for me anyway as I'd never used a wire-feed welder before).

Glad I didn't try to fit galv. pipe everywhere--it's not the most precisely manufactured stuff in the world. Worked well in my case to provide vertical support in the middle though.

• mollyd
    17 years ago

I'm interested in that galvanized shelving because I grow daylilies and as they grow they move into 1 gallon and larger pots which get quite heavy. I'm always looking for good ways to support them.
    Good way to use some of my cattle panels too when I upgrade my GH !

Thanks!
    MollyD

• washoe_mark
    16 years ago

HI,
    I'm new to this forum. I just got me the HFGH 10 X 12. I am very appreciative of laser man's effort to share all his experience on this unit as well as gardenerwantabe.
    I live in Washoe Valley NV, known for it's wind (that's why we windsurf there). During winter with the storm fronts we get 30 to 50 mi. gusts. I will absolutely follow all the good advise I've read here & then some.
    Laserman, I can't quite see how the round conduit is attached to the GH as bracing if you can clarify. I definately want to try that. So far I only have the base done & I'm going to follow your idea of the 4x4 base bracing. I'm going to set mine in the ground like the directions suggest. I'm not worried about rusting, we are in a desert type of climate & the ground gets dry in a hurry.
    I'm mainly going to use this GH for storing my potted plants in winter.

• laserfan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mark just re-read above, I flatten some and L-bracket others. Someone here screwed the l-brackets instead of welding.

Good luck...

laserfan

• Flowerhen
    16 years ago

Hello, I was wondering if everyone who bought this 10 x12 greenhouse from HF is happy with it ??? and would you recommend it to someone else? Thank you, Ctufts

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler