Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellybell_gw

Pit/Walipini/underground greenhouses?

KellyBell
11 years ago

Are there members in Oklahoma with any pics or experience with this? Pit/Walipini/underground greenhouses?
I live in southeastern Oklahoma...and as you know we are always challenged when it comes to gardening and this year the heat was the major issue!..LOL Ive been exhaustively researching these ideas about 365 gardening and preserving while living off of the grid, so before I call out the earth movers I want to make sure i have all of my ducks in a row!.....I was very interested in this site... http://greenhouse.taroandti.com/2008/02/28/earth-sheltered-pit-greenhouse/ It seems they are doing a hybrid type at a low cost.
I would love to find others in my area that might have some experience with this and i also have a few questions for the forum?.....

1. I notice everyone is planting on the floor. Wouldn't it be better use of the space to do a terraced planting along the walls and this would act as a berm as well?

2. Although i am knee deep into self efficiency My moto is( purposeful can be pretty at the same time)... So has anyone added some of the more aesthetic details to their plans... ponds, decorative elements ect?

3. could i figure out a way to incorporate a tropical zone for figs and citrus .. a zone where i could let plants go dormant if need be... a cactus area... a fish pond/aquaponic area and a little mushroom area? or am i looking at digging several different houses?

Comments (7)

• cheapgardener
    11 years ago

A friend of mine told me his father had a pit greenhouse when he was young. His dads built it himself. You would walk down the stairs and on both sides the dirt was at a height as to work as work benches and the floor was wooden with a trench under it that was used for compost/worm bed/drainage. This was outside of Boston and he said it worked great.

• KellyBell
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think it is such a great and cost effective idea here where the winds come sweeping down the plain ..LOL I wounder why this is not considered more.... I would love to here some of the pros and cons from those that have one.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

Cheapgardener or anyone else who has tried this, do you need to add a heater to stay above freezing? I am really thinking of trying this. The excavating is the big hurdle to get over. We have very rocky soil and I'm not in peak physical condition. I will have to get a backhoe of course. I just want opinions as to it being better than surface greenhouses as far as heating needs.

• soonergrandmom
    10 years ago

I think your biggest concern might be the water table.

The LDS Church is teaching people in the high country of South America, where it is too cold for gardens, to build and plant pit greenhouses. You might find some interesting info here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pit Greenhouses

• poaky1
    10 years ago

It is not clear o to me what the berm is made of, and how you enter and exit the growing area.

• Sans2014
    8 years ago

Can anyone tell me how well these work in northern climates?

• nmfruit
    8 years ago

Going underground is the best in terms of thermal considerations. Done right, there is no need for supplemental heat, as the ground stays around 50 degrees all year.

Mine is still new, it was previously an underground chicken coop that maintained nice temps for the birds despite openings for ventilation and no insulation in the ceiling. I put some clear fiberglass panels on the south, foil backed bubble wrap on the ceiling, and have yet to hang the door yet it has not gone below freezing despite many nights in the low 20's and one to 18 so far. I am in N. New Mexico, zone 6, with average January lows in the teens. Basically even in a cloudy climate the heat of the ground should be enough as long as you insulate the ceiling and ideally the glazing as well ( bubble wrap or twin wall, etc).