Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pit/Walipini/underground greenhouses?

Posted by KellyBell 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 9:52

Are there members in Oklahoma with any pics or experience with this? Pit/Walipini/underground greenhouses?
I live in southeastern Oklahoma...and as you know we are always challenged when it comes to gardening and this year the heat was the major issue!..LOL Ive been exhaustively researching these ideas about 365 gardening and preserving while living off of the grid, so before I call out the earth movers I want to make sure i have all of my ducks in a row!.....I was very interested in this site... http://greenhouse.taroandti.com/2008/02/28/earth-sheltered-pit-greenhouse/ It seems they are doing a hybrid type at a low cost.
I would love to find others in my area that might have some experience with this and i also have a few questions for the forum?.....

1. I notice everyone is planting on the floor. Wouldn't it be better use of the space to do a terraced planting along the walls and this would act as a berm as well?

2. Although i am knee deep into self efficiency My moto is( purposeful can be pretty at the same time)... So has anyone added some of the more aesthetic details to their plans... ponds, decorative elements ect?

3. could i figure out a way to incorporate a tropical zone for figs and citrus .. a zone where i could let plants go dormant if need be... a cactus area... a fish pond/aquaponic area and a little mushroom area? or am i looking at digging several different houses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pit/Walipini/underground greenhouses?

A friend of mine told me his father had a pit greenhouse when he was young. His dads built it himself. You would walk down the stairs and on both sides the dirt was at a height as to work as work benches and the floor was wooden with a trench under it that was used for compost/worm bed/drainage. This was outside of Boston and he said it worked great.

o

I think it is such a great and cost effective idea here where the winds come sweeping down the plain ..LOL I wounder why this is not considered more.... I would love to here some of the pros and cons from those that have one.

o

Cheapgardener or anyone else who has tried this, do you need to add a heater to stay above freezing? I am really thinking of trying this. The excavating is the big hurdle to get over. We have very rocky soil and I'm not in peak physical condition. I will have to get a backhoe of course. I just want opinions as to it being better than surface greenhouses as far as heating needs.

o

I think your biggest concern might be the water table.

The LDS Church is teaching people in the high country of South America, where it is too cold for gardens, to build and plant pit greenhouses. You might find some interesting info here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pit Greenhouses

o

It is not clear o to me what the berm is made of, and how you enter and exit the growing area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here