Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Inside/Outside greenhouse temps in a pic

Posted by franktank232 z5 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 10:13

Last week i paid attention to inside/outside temps of my plastic 6x10 greenhouse. I'm seeing about a 50F temp difference. Is this about normal? So on a 0F day here in Wisconsin (normal during our winters, sometimes we don't even hit 0F)...i would see 50F??? Debating if i should even leave this up much longer. I would suspect that snow cover would help by reflecting even more light into the greenhouse. Note that i don't plan on keeping anything in here, just maybe sit in there during a cold winter day and read a magazine.

Photobucket
Outdoor temps are on the outside of the greenhouse to the right and in the greenhouse to the left (3ft off the floor)...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Inside/Outside greenhouse temps in a pic

Frank,

Yes, that's pretty normal on a sunny day. At night you'll see the inside and outside temps much closer, depending on how insulated your greenhouse is.

On a sunny day in winter you will see a huge temp difference, and on an overcast day, not as much difference.

If you leave the GH up over the winter, will it withstand snowfall?

o

Two years ago we had a late snow fall in the spring and then it was followed by a bright sunny day with no wind. The temps in the high tunnel rose to 110 degrees at 4 foot high. The ground was cooler, but I had to vent the place. Felt weird to do it, but the spring can bring some weird weather!

o

Yeah..i've had it up in late Feb until June and then it just got too hard to vent..it was 120F or something insane like that in late May (outside temp was near 90F)... I think if i remember i had an outside temp around 30F and an inside temp of around 90F in early March, but we had good snowcover...

I highly doubt this thing would handle a lot of snow... another reason to probably take it down. I mainly want it for starting seeds...its really easy to put up/take down.

Probably take it down towards the end of this month... Put it back up in late Feb.

o

I have a solar heat collector that provides most of the heat in winter for my house. It is 8ft by 18ft by 10ft tall on the south side of the house. I just open the door and heat rolls in. Today it was 75F outside and 125F inside with the door closed. So that is the same 50F as yours. If I had the door open it would be about 100F at the top where heat flows into the house.

If the outside high temperature falls much below 50F it doesn't get hot enough to heat the house very well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here