Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hudson___wy

GH Season End :(

hudson___wy
9 years ago

Each year - Mother Nature - decides when to close our GH for the year. This year it was last night! It got down to -6 degrees. We do not heat the GH into the fall - but we watched the weather and picked our last veggies from the GH before the deep freeze. What a wonderful GH year!!

{{gwi:290219}}

{{gwi:290220}}

{{gwi:290218}}

This post was edited by Hudson...WY on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 9:49

Comments (7)

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is lonley in the GH now - once robust - now vacant. Looking forward to next season!

{{gwi:308336}}

{{gwi:290221}}

{{gwi:308337}}

• myfrozenlittlepond
    9 years ago

Without heat, do you ever poke into your GH in deep winter just to see what it's like out there? What kind of temps do you see inside on a sunny day when it's single digits outside? Thanks for posting your photos. I always enjoy seeing what you are doing. My GH is on schedule for next spring and our budget has dictated that it will be a high hoop. I'm hopeful that even on a cold day mine might feel warm and cozy, although empty of greenery!

• silentdreams
    9 years ago

That's a beautiful greenhouse! I'm in zone 3b and My GH is hanging on for dear life. It's getting to -20ish celcius at night and I've only lost a couple of potato plants so far. I am fighting Mother Nature to the bitter end.

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Littlepond
    Please give us updates on your high hoop. I am thinking about building a high hoop for our veggie crops and would like to see what you do. Oh yes - we still spend time in the GH during the winter months - I always snowplow a walkway! On a sunny day - when OS temps are -10 degrees F - it will be 70 degrees F in the GH - but then quickly sinks to 0 degrees F - when the sun goes down.

In this photo it is the first of March - OS temp was -4 degrees F - GH temp was 19 degrees F - Under the frost blanket was about 37 degrees F - during the night - no sun!

{{gwi:291798}}

We have also grown greens in a heated box within in the greenhouse during the winter. We bury heat cables 4-6" inches deep and put the cables on a thermostat to heat the soil. We grew good crops but I am not motivated to do that every winter.

{{gwi:308338}}

{{gwi:308339}}

{{gwi:308340}}

• myfrozenlittlepond
    9 years ago

So cool. I have a cold frame full of greens and carrots that got buried on monday by 16" snow. I plan to shovel it out this weekend and see what it all looks like. As for my high hoop, I am working with a company out of ohio called Tunnel Vision Hoops to design my hoop house. They have been wonderful to work with and are customizing a model that will handle our heavy snow loads and my specific needs. Check out their facebook page to see what they do. I plan to order mine as a kit and then hold a greenhouse raising weekend and see how far we can get. I don't plan to heat it in the formal sense, but some cold frames and insulated growing boxes are in my plans. I love the idea of having a nice little sitting area within my gh to hang out and soak up some warmth when the temps are frigid. As always, thanks for your photos and willingness to share your experiences.

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

I put my gh to bed last Monday. Was sad about it too.

What is that plastic that is used for the cold frames?

• hudson___wy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Lori
    Glad you were sad - that means you had a good year and enjoyed your GH?! The plastic is triple wall polycarbonate - the same stuff that we used on our GH. What you see over/around our heated soil cables is some left overs from when we built the GH. It is great stuff and works well for that purpose too.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022