Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williammorgan

EMT Green House Design

williammorgan
12 years ago

I'm planning to build a greenhouse and I'm looking for affordable solutions. I tried pvc and concluded it's too weak(especially the fixtures). So i started exploring other option such as galvanized fence posts/railings. Then I remembered EMT pipe which is much cheaper.

My concern though is strength in high winds. I'm in SE MA and we had a pretty bad hurricane this year and several strong storms with severe winter storms to come.

I haven't exactly chosen the design but plan to use a car port/canopy design because the fixtures offer many possibilities. One thing I do know is I don't want to go too simple. The roof will be re-enforced structurally. Even the main posts(10') I would cut in half and add horizontal pipes to give more stability.

After watching a guy bend EMT pipe to make his greenhouse I'm a little worried a nor'easter might do the same thing if it's cemented in the ground. I realize covering could be removed however this summer we had some ferocious storms. I'd like to keep a cover on and get an early start next spring.

Worth it? Or go with fence posts(1 5/8 1 7/8)? Although it should be noted i'm not finding too many fittings for fencing. That's why i'm exploring EMT pipe...that and it's much cheaper.

Comments (3)