Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clay_anita99

Greenhouse heating, newbe

clay_anita99
14 years ago

We bought a used 6x8 single polycarbonate gh, using it to keep our deck plants alive, palms, ferns, topiary trees, etc. It is full, if this works considering expanding to grow plants. How is the best way to heat,(kind,size,etc) has gravel floor. What kind of thermometer should I use. Do I need to cover gh with plastic for more insulation, if so, what kind and thickness. What temperature should I try to keep gh,any other information you can pass on would be appreciated.

Thanks

Clay

Comments (9)

• randy41_1
    14 years ago

I suggest that you use a small electric heater with a built in thermostat. You would have to run power to your greenhouse but it is automatic and you don't have to be home to attend to it and it requires no venting as a gas heater would.

• clay_anita99
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank You do you recommend a size.

Clay

• randy41_1
    14 years ago

I have a similar size greenhouse as you except mine is double glazed with polycarbonate. I use a heater that looks a lot like a Dayton U36 240v Electric Heater. It looks like its about 5600 watts. It requires 220 volts, 30 amps. I would think that would work for you. It is never constantly running here.I start using it in March when the temperature here gets no lower than the low teens. I use this greenhouse for starts only.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

Just for discussion.

In areas that's not too freezing cold most of the time, it is a little more efficient using a heat pump (running an A/C backwards) for heating than reisitance heating.

dcarch

• Mike Larkin
    14 years ago

Clay anita,
    I would buy some poly to cover your GH - It will help. The electic heat is easy, but make sure you are safe. Running an extension cord could be RISKY.
    If you are able run electic via conduit into the house - GFI .
    Some people also try to cover with bubble rap - solar pool cover - Not sure how much you can save but lots of people try!
    Mike

• clay_anita99
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank You all for your info and help.

Clay

• fuzzymoto
    14 years ago

For whatever its worth....this is our first season of covering the grenhouse with a solar pool cover and it has worked VERY well. So far we haven't even turne don our propane heater (only a small electric heater) and our lows have been in the teens & 20's. We're maintaining 50F pretty easily and with the propane on I'm sur we can easily do more. Well worth the cost and already has paid for itself in propane savings.

• stressbaby
    14 years ago

For me, the solar pool cover was a failure. Best results for me with 1" of reflective foil covered foamboard on the north wall, then 4 mil poly clipped to the inside for a 2-6" air layer within the remainder of the GH.

• fuzzymoto
    14 years ago

Our GH is all-glass and home attached so our north side wall is the wall of our house (and insulated already). Our solar pool cover is on the outside and it completely wraps the greenhouse with no openings or seams. We looked into attaching bubble-wrap or poly on the interior of our GH but given the size and height of the greenhouse and obstacles like irrigation lines, trusses, hanging plants, lighting, heaters, shelves and of course plants, we felt it would have been impossibly difficulty to reliably attach let alone ensure there were no seams or leaks. Wrapping the outside of a box rather than the inside of a box seemed easier and more reliable for our GH. You mileage may vary.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling