Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kheinrich211

Wyndyacre - Questions about an incredible greenhouse

kheinrich211
9 years ago

Good Afternoon,
I just wanted to tell you how "In Awe" I am over your greenhouse! I too enjoy flowers and am spending way too much money every spring at the nursery�s. I had my husband make me a very small (what you called a cold storage box) to see if I could have any success on growing plants from seed. This past winter I started some seeds in my bathroom, then moved them to my small greenhouse / cold storage box and they grew so big and strong and cheap! With having this success, I am now officially hooked! I have been all over Pinterest, and of all the greenhouses I have pinned and seen, I really like yours the best.
We have been on a mission to copy your greenhouse, and I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me?
What are the sizes of the windows in the front? I have found some, super cheap, that are 28" x 67.25" I am told that they have 10 of them. YAY! I�m thinking that these will work perfectly!
What are the sizes of the windows on your roof?
Are the windows on the roof, glass?
What kind of foundation do you have? I saw in your pictures that you have a brick area inside, but what is that brick sitting on?
Is there anything you would have done differently?
Also, is this structure built with 2 x 6�s?
Any advice or assistance offered would be fantastic. Of course, we are gathering our supplies, and will build according to what we end up with. But I sure do love yours!
Best Regards,
A fellow flower enthusiast,
Kathy

Comments (4)

• oakhill (zone 9A, Calif.)
    9 years ago

Try posting to the original thread.....you may get answers.

• wyndyacre
    9 years ago

I haven't really been back to Gardenweb in several years but just popped in on a whim and saw your post!

That greenhouse is now 12 years old and still being used. We did a fairly major renovation to it this spring as the old windows in it were 50-100 years old when we built it and were starting to rot and leak.

The GH is 16' long so you can figure from that the rough size of the windows. But you can just design your own greenhouse around whatever size windows you are able to find!

We removed the old french door windows from the roof and just built an asphalt shingled roof with two skylights I bought used. The front wall of windows were also replaced by used windows...I lucked out on some matching, quality brand, vinyl windows at a salvage store!

The GH is supported by concrete piers poured into Sonex Tubes in the ground. There is a pressure treated sill on top of those and the framework is pressure treated 2x6's with insulation in the walls.
    The paver brick floor is just on the ground, on a bed of sand.

You will find that keeping the GH cool is just as important as providing heat. In spite of being able to open doors and windows and having an automatic venting window in the ridgeline of the roof, I still couldn't count on the GH not overheating...especially if I was at work all day and not able to control everything when it needed to be. So we installed an exhaust fan on a thermostat and then things were perfect! So with that knowledge now, I would have just installed one at the beginning and saved myself a lot of aggravation!

Here is a recent photo of the greenhouse after it's renovations. There is not as much glass as there once was but still plenty enough for starting and growing on plants. I don't plan to heat it all winter anymore...maybe just in late spring as I moved seedlings out there. I moved my 3 tiered light table to my heated, bright basement and can start seeds there as early as I want.

• wyndyacre
    9 years ago

I painted antique screen doors and a cupola that we found at different salvage shops and added them too, during the renovation.

• wyndyacre
    9 years ago

Taken last week when we had about 8" of snow...it's all gone now!