Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a good greenhouse to use?

Posted by briana_2006 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 15:56

Hello All -

Anybody have experience with this greenhouse?

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/flowerhouse-farm.shtml

I would like to set this up in an unfinished basement -- securing it to the rafters.

I would like to use a hole punch to make 2 small holes in the roof in order to drop a cord through it so I can place a 1000W metal halide light inside.

I am thinking to use 2 of the side vents to direct ductwork from the metal halide light to the outside of the greenhouse (if leaving it inside would generate too much heat).

I would also put a small humidifier in there to increase humidity for tropical plants.

If needed I would also put a small heater.

I would secure the four corners by putting heavy objects on them on the basement floor.

Does this plan seem feasible to keep tropicals?

I would like to maintain humidity ~ 80%.

I would also put a small desk fan in to circulate the air.

Thanks for any advice.
Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a good greenhouse to use?

The heat generated by a 1000wt MH is extensive even if vented to the outside. I would be very concerned about it damaging the thin plastic of that greenhouse. Fluorescent fixtures, sure. MH I think not.

You can run the cord in under the bottom flap so no need to make holes and in that small a space sufficient evaporating humidity can be maintained with trays of water.

JMO

Dave

o
RE: Is this a good greenhouse to use?

Thanks.

How much fluorescent lighting would I need to support a plant in there -- I have a 4 foot shoplight that runs 3 t8 bulbs.

Would t8's work or would I need to go to high output t5's?
How many t5s?

Since I dont have a bench (or rack) in there that is why I wanted to punch a hole in the top. Since the metal halide would generate too much heat I would still need to punch a hole for the fluorescent fixture -- since I need to hang from the rafters.

Also, since you did not mention otherwise I assume the greenhouse itself is of good quality?

Thanks for your help.
Brian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Greenhouses & Garden Structures Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here